Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Witham: Garage evacuated after chemical spill
5:24pm Tuesday 18th September 2012 in News
A petrol station was evacuated after a chemical spillage.
Five fire crews were called to the garage on the A12 near Feering just before 2pm this afternoon.
A spokesman said :"Crews were called to a leaking chemical drum at a petrol station.
"The 25 litre drum was being carried on the back of a trailer and one litre had spilt onto the forecourt area.
"As a precaution the garage was evacuated.
"Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus investigated the spillage and the chemical contained in the drum was Vinyl Toluene.
"Sand was used to absorb the spill and fire crews made the area safe."
Crews dealt with the incident by 15:20hrs.