Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Toxic algae warning for Wivenhoe pit
PET owners are warned to avoid potentially toxic algae at a pit in Wivenhoe.
The Environment Agency has issued the alert for the LaFarge Pits Complex in Keelar’s Lane after blue-green algae was spotted.
As well as being possibly lethal to pets the algae could also cause skin irritation or a rash to humans, while swallowing water or algae may cause stomach upsets or more serious illness.
The naturally-occuring algae helps produce oxygen but develops into excessive amounts in calm, hot and sunny weather.
For more information on health issues contact Environmental and Protective Services at Colchester Council on 01206 282559.