Lepers’ arms don’t fall off...not even for comic effect

Gazette: Sarah Nancollas Sarah Nancollas

A CHARITY is demanding an apology from the film-makers of Wallace and Gromit after it poked fun at leprosy.

Colchester’s Lepra has criticised a trailer for the latest Aardman film The Pirates! Band of Misfits.

They say it uses a misleading stereotype after it showed a leper’s arm fall off.

The scene shows a pirate captain demanding gold on board a ship when a crew member replies: “Afraid we don’t have any gold old man, this is a leper-boat”. His arm then falls off.

A statement on the charity’s website says: “Leprosy is not an easy disease to catch, it is curable, those affected should live within mainstream society and no – limbs don’t just fall off. Not even for comic effect.”

Sarah Nancollas, chief executive, of Lepra based in Middleborough, Colchester, said it had already received complaints about the trailer from sufferers across the world and wanted an apology from the directors and producers.

She said: “Winning the battle against leprosy discrimination is vital if we are to win the war against the social and physical effects of this curable disease.

“Although we appreciate the makers’ intention to engage audiences, we are disappointed they have chosen to play on a misleading stereotype.

“We visit about 3,000 schools across the UK and children in East Anglia alone raise more than £30,000 each year to fight leprosy stigma, hard work that is undone instantly by this film trailer.”

The trailer has also been criticised by Stephen Fry, who labelled it a cheap joke.

Sir Christian Bonington, president of Lepra, said: “Not only is the dropping off of body parts a total misnomer, we have to ask is it acceptable for us to be laughing at the millions of people who are disabled by leprosy?

“With World Leprosy Day later this month we ask ourselves why is it that some people and conditions should be fair game for jokes while others are off-limits? The answer of course is they should not be.”

Arthur Sheriff, head of communications for Aardman, said: “We take matters like this most seriously and are reviewing the situation.”

Comments (63)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:22pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

Here we go again. The Thought Police telling us what we can laugh at and what we can't. It was a joke!
Here we go again. The Thought Police telling us what we can laugh at and what we can't. It was a joke! Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Tue 17 Jan 12

romantic says...

sdapeze, I´m kind of with you on this one. Definite sense of humour failure. Reminds me of a Far Side one a few years ago, where a guy with a huge head "walked out of the jungle and into the headhunters´legends
". I thought it was funny, people apparently complained as it insulted people with big heads! Best not even mention sickipedia...
sdapeze, I´m kind of with you on this one. Definite sense of humour failure. Reminds me of a Far Side one a few years ago, where a guy with a huge head "walked out of the jungle and into the headhunters´legends ". I thought it was funny, people apparently complained as it insulted people with big heads! Best not even mention sickipedia... romantic
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Tue 17 Jan 12

SOMETHING2SAY says...

( grabs limbs..."she loves me..she loves me not ) leper awareness in colchester ??..most unfortunates in the town are either legless or (h)armless ! Dont see any point to this story / its reporting . If the joke had been aimed at more common ailments...then gripe maybe.....but leprosy ??? for petes sake !!!
( grabs limbs..."she loves me..she loves me not ) leper awareness in colchester ??..most unfortunates in the town are either legless or (h)armless ! Dont see any point to this story / its reporting . If the joke had been aimed at more common ailments...then gripe maybe.....but leprosy ??? for petes sake !!! SOMETHING2SAY
  • Score: 0

6:33pm Tue 17 Jan 12

SOMETHING2SAY says...

i would like ( in advance ) to complain about "red nose day " . Red noses can be gained through a number of issues.: alcholism / cold / flu/ rudolph syndrome/ smack in the face affect/acne etc...surely such a charity and fundraiser should not be allowed to mock those afflicted ??
i would like ( in advance ) to complain about "red nose day " . Red noses can be gained through a number of issues.: alcholism / cold / flu/ rudolph syndrome/ smack in the face affect/acne etc...surely such a charity and fundraiser should not be allowed to mock those afflicted ?? SOMETHING2SAY
  • Score: 0

6:38pm Tue 17 Jan 12

SOMETHING2SAY says...

on tv sarah just said leprosy is curable..... and yet people have been known to die from laughing !!!
on tv sarah just said leprosy is curable..... and yet people have been known to die from laughing !!! SOMETHING2SAY
  • Score: 0

7:07pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

I should like to complain about something too. There must be something to get miffed about.
I should like to complain about something too. There must be something to get miffed about. Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

8:17pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Boris says...

Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty.
If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra".
And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off?
Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them?
Grow up.
.
http://www.lepraheal
thinaction.org/lepro
sy-myth-busters/
Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty. If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra". And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off? Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them? Grow up. . http://www.lepraheal thinaction.org/lepro sy-myth-busters/ Boris
  • Score: 0

8:40pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Frankandstein says...

Boris,I'm disabled and I take the **** out of myself...got an answer for that,then??
Boris,I'm disabled and I take the **** out of myself...got an answer for that,then?? Frankandstein
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Sidney Harbour-Bridge says...

Why not ban Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves as well - that's got a leper joke in it.
We already have an appointed board of censors, we don't need an unappointed one.
Why not ban Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves as well - that's got a leper joke in it. We already have an appointed board of censors, we don't need an unappointed one. Sidney Harbour-Bridge
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Frankandstein says...

Life Of Brian"Alms for an ex-leper?;-)
Life Of Brian"Alms for an ex-leper?;-) Frankandstein
  • Score: 0

8:47pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Boris says...

Frankandstein wrote:
Boris,I'm disabled and I take the **** out of myself...got an answer for that,then??
Yes it is OK for you, in the company of your family or other disabled people, but not for the rest of us.
In the same way, it is OK for black people to call each other whatever they like, but the rest of us don't.
[quote][p][bold]Frankandstein[/bold] wrote: Boris,I'm disabled and I take the **** out of myself...got an answer for that,then??[/p][/quote]Yes it is OK for you, in the company of your family or other disabled people, but not for the rest of us. In the same way, it is OK for black people to call each other whatever they like, but the rest of us don't. Boris
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Frankandstein says...

I couldn't care less what people say about me,I'm more concerned with the fact that my arms and legs don't work properly!
I couldn't care less what people say about me,I'm more concerned with the fact that my arms and legs don't work properly! Frankandstein
  • Score: 0

8:51pm Tue 17 Jan 12

californianana says...

Boris how right you are. it's really disgusting.I've been looked at oddly because I use a walker now but who cares rather. that than fall like I did a month ago.making fun of another's disability just shows ignorance and intolerance.hope you stay 100%healthy til the day you die or you may be the butt of a joke. what then???????
Boris how right you are. it's really disgusting.I've been looked at oddly because I use a walker now but who cares rather. that than fall like I did a month ago.making fun of another's disability just shows ignorance and intolerance.hope you stay 100%healthy til the day you die or you may be the butt of a joke. what then??????? californianana
  • Score: 0

8:52pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Frankandstein says...

I must have a thicker skin then!
I must have a thicker skin then! Frankandstein
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Tue 17 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Frankandstein wrote:
I must have a thicker skin then!
Perhaps you do, not really the point, is it? As Boris has rightly said, you have the right to make those jokes, Boris and I don't.
[quote][p][bold]Frankandstein[/bold] wrote: I must have a thicker skin then![/p][/quote]Perhaps you do, not really the point, is it? As Boris has rightly said, you have the right to make those jokes, Boris and I don't. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

9:21pm Tue 17 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Boris wrote:
Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty.
If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra".
And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off?
Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them?
Grow up.
.
http://www.lepraheal

thinaction.org/lepro

sy-myth-busters/
Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible.
However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra.
http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/File:Lepra_
2003.png
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty. If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra". And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off? Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them? Grow up. . http://www.lepraheal thinaction.org/lepro sy-myth-busters/[/p][/quote]Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible. However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra. http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/File:Lepra_ 2003.png 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

9:30pm Tue 17 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

My link is for a map of the world showing instances of leprosy, by the way.
My link is for a map of the world showing instances of leprosy, by the way. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

11:24pm Tue 17 Jan 12

Boris says...

6079 Smith W wrote:
Boris wrote:
Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty.
If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra".
And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off?
Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them?
Grow up.
.
http://www.lepraheal


thinaction.org/lepro


sy-myth-busters/
Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible.
However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra.
http://en.wikipedia.

org/wiki/File:Lepra_

2003.png
Yes Winston, I used to like Aardman films too. However, this crass so-called "joke" has put me quite off Wallace and Gromit. A company spokesperson was quoted this evening as saying the "joke" had caused more offence in other countries, so they were going to alter the publicity there. As to whether they would cut the offensive bit out of the film itself, it was "no comment".
This is not good enough, they need to do a lot more than this to repair the gross offence they have given. They must remove this nauseating "joke" worldwide, from trailers and from the film itself.
You are right to say they should now show support for the work of Lepra. They can afford to make a substantial donation out of their profits to the work of this excellent charity.
[quote][p][bold]6079 Smith W[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty. If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra". And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off? Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them? Grow up. . http://www.lepraheal thinaction.org/lepro sy-myth-busters/[/p][/quote]Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible. However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra. http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/File:Lepra_ 2003.png[/p][/quote]Yes Winston, I used to like Aardman films too. However, this crass so-called "joke" has put me quite off Wallace and Gromit. A company spokesperson was quoted this evening as saying the "joke" had caused more offence in other countries, so they were going to alter the publicity there. As to whether they would cut the offensive bit out of the film itself, it was "no comment". This is not good enough, they need to do a lot more than this to repair the gross offence they have given. They must remove this nauseating "joke" worldwide, from trailers and from the film itself. You are right to say they should now show support for the work of Lepra. They can afford to make a substantial donation out of their profits to the work of this excellent charity. Boris
  • Score: 0

11:53pm Tue 17 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Agreed Boris, a very disappointing response. It shows those who point to a 'thought police' are simply not thinking, thoughtlessness, and the crass, offensive, expression of that thoughtlessness, remain everywhere. This could have been an opportunity to make up for their error, by raising awareness of the terrible results of inequality and injustice.
Agreed Boris, a very disappointing response. It shows those who point to a 'thought police' are simply not thinking, thoughtlessness, and the crass, offensive, expression of that thoughtlessness, remain everywhere. This could have been an opportunity to make up for their error, by raising awareness of the terrible results of inequality and injustice. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

2:49am Wed 18 Jan 12

californianana says...

as insensitive as some comments are which I find repulsive. I. think we all failed to realize that movies are made to make money and the more insensitive the movie the more money. making money off another's. misfortune is even more. diabolical,
as insensitive as some comments are which I find repulsive. I. think we all failed to realize that movies are made to make money and the more insensitive the movie the more money. making money off another's. misfortune is even more. diabolical, californianana
  • Score: 0

6:56am Wed 18 Jan 12

ShallowRemarks says...

The film makers should donate some of their prophits to the Lepra charity, everyones happy.
The film makers should donate some of their prophits to the Lepra charity, everyones happy. ShallowRemarks
  • Score: 0

8:37am Wed 18 Jan 12

Squidward Tenticals says...

Hands all those who really didn't laugh at the clip......if you can :)

Get over it, its a film.
Hands all those who really didn't laugh at the clip......if you can :) Get over it, its a film. Squidward Tenticals
  • Score: 0

8:54am Wed 18 Jan 12

wellnow says...

in the back room under the flickering light of the 20watt bulb the two old codgers agreed again with each other,that they alone were correct in all things.why?are we blessed?
in the back room under the flickering light of the 20watt bulb the two old codgers agreed again with each other,that they alone were correct in all things.why?are we blessed? wellnow
  • Score: 0

10:21am Wed 18 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

Thank goodness for Boris and Anna. Where would we be without the protection and guidance that they provide for us all? We are talking about a Wallace and Gromit film. Let's ban it, just like the Boris and Annas of this world have already banned Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc. to protect us from ourselves.
Thank goodness for Boris and Anna. Where would we be without the protection and guidance that they provide for us all? We are talking about a Wallace and Gromit film. Let's ban it, just like the Boris and Annas of this world have already banned Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc. to protect us from ourselves. Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

10:22am Wed 18 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

Thank goodness for Boris and Anna. Where would we be without the protection and guidance that they provide for us all? We are talking about a Wallace and Gromit film. Let's ban it, just like the Boris and Annas of this world have already banned Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc. to protect us from ourselves.
Thank goodness for Boris and Anna. Where would we be without the protection and guidance that they provide for us all? We are talking about a Wallace and Gromit film. Let's ban it, just like the Boris and Annas of this world have already banned Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc. to protect us from ourselves. Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

11:25am Wed 18 Jan 12

Red Tape says...

Let's get this into perspective - no one is calling for the film to be banned. I just see it as a local charity highlighting the fact that a disease is still a hugh problem in large areas of the world, is entirely curable, and are cleverly using a rather sick joke to promote these facts. And let's face it the publicity it's created has got their work into the headlines far more effectively and cheaply than cold mailshots or newspaper adverts!
Let's get this into perspective - no one is calling for the film to be banned. I just see it as a local charity highlighting the fact that a disease is still a hugh problem in large areas of the world, is entirely curable, and are cleverly using a rather sick joke to promote these facts. And let's face it the publicity it's created has got their work into the headlines far more effectively and cheaply than cold mailshots or newspaper adverts! Red Tape
  • Score: 0

11:46am Wed 18 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

....and I was pointing out that the likes of Anna and Boris and the Thought Police can't trust us to watch such unsuitable stuff and arrive at the correct conclusions about the ills of society. We need guidance and counselling from them. These people will take over our lives if we let them.
....and I was pointing out that the likes of Anna and Boris and the Thought Police can't trust us to watch such unsuitable stuff and arrive at the correct conclusions about the ills of society. We need guidance and counselling from them. These people will take over our lives if we let them. Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Wed 18 Jan 12

25414nora says...

I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****..
I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****.. 25414nora
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Wed 18 Jan 12

25414nora says...

25414nora wrote:
I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****..
The asterisks hide the word Po*nog**phy
[quote][p][bold]25414nora[/bold] wrote: I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****..[/p][/quote]The asterisks hide the word Po*nog**phy 25414nora
  • Score: 0

1:53pm Wed 18 Jan 12

Lawford Lass says...

25414nora wrote:
25414nora wrote: I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****..
The asterisks hide the word Po*nog**phy
Completely agree. I've seen the trailer twice and both times I've laughed, its funny, sorry.
[quote][p][bold]25414nora[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]25414nora[/bold] wrote: I've not seen the film clip (trailer) of the wallace & grommet sketch.. Although I can amagine that if I HAD seen the bit where the crew member said this is a leper ship, 'and then seeing his arm drop off, my immediate responce would be to laugh. Nothing at all to do with political correctness. Also I think that children watching this cartoon are a lot more intelligent than many adults give them credit for, and will accept it for what it is..Now if we adults really wanted something to worry about we should consider some of the real horrors that our kids are exposed to in the form of video nasties, and ****..[/p][/quote]The asterisks hide the word Po*nog**phy[/p][/quote]Completely agree. I've seen the trailer twice and both times I've laughed, its funny, sorry. Lawford Lass
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Wed 18 Jan 12

RobWalker says...

I don't think it's making fun of people suffering from leprosy, it's just cartoon slapstick. It's not meant to be a realistic depiction of the disease.
The trailer doesn't look that funny, I winced rather than laughed when the cartoon arm fell off, but that's my reaction and I'm not going to have other people decide for me how I should respond.
If you don't like it don't watch it, nobody is being harmed here. Minds aren't being corrupted or people tormented.
The thing is by talking about it like this, by drawing attention to it, people will now want to see for themselves what all the fuss was about. Just let people use their own minds.
I don't think it's making fun of people suffering from leprosy, it's just cartoon slapstick. It's not meant to be a realistic depiction of the disease. The trailer doesn't look that funny, I winced rather than laughed when the cartoon arm fell off, but that's my reaction and I'm not going to have other people decide for me how I should respond. If you don't like it don't watch it, nobody is being harmed here. Minds aren't being corrupted or people tormented. The thing is by talking about it like this, by drawing attention to it, people will now want to see for themselves what all the fuss was about. Just let people use their own minds. RobWalker
  • Score: 0

3:25pm Wed 18 Jan 12

Squidward Tenticals says...

Just to throw my hand in again. It's nice to see some laughed their heads off at it


As I said its a film not a documentary there's a lot worse to worry about in the world
Just to throw my hand in again. It's nice to see some laughed their heads off at it As I said its a film not a documentary there's a lot worse to worry about in the world Squidward Tenticals
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Wed 18 Jan 12

romantic says...

I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer. romantic
  • Score: 0

6:16pm Wed 18 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument.
Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy.
Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.
[quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument. Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy. Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Wed 18 Jan 12

Yendor says says...

Aardman films must be laughing all the way to the bank with all this publicity .....

At the end of the day, we are talking about Wallace & Gromit and I think it needs to be taken into context.

Rob Walkers earlier post summarises the position exactly.
Aardman films must be laughing all the way to the bank with all this publicity ..... At the end of the day, we are talking about Wallace & Gromit and I think it needs to be taken into context. Rob Walkers earlier post summarises the position exactly. Yendor says
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Wed 18 Jan 12

jut1972 says...

Winston said... it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around..

You really are a miserable old git aren't you?

Below is a link to the best British films of all time as voted for by the BFI, or let me guess they are wrong and you are right AGAIN..

http://www.bfi.org.u
k/features/bfi100/91
-100.html#99

God knows what you would make of Sarah Silverman..
Winston said... it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.. You really are a miserable old git aren't you? Below is a link to the best British films of all time as voted for by the BFI, or let me guess they are wrong and you are right AGAIN.. http://www.bfi.org.u k/features/bfi100/91 -100.html#99 God knows what you would make of Sarah Silverman.. jut1972
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Wed 18 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

jut1972 wrote:
Winston said... it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around..

You really are a miserable old git aren't you?

Below is a link to the best British films of all time as voted for by the BFI, or let me guess they are wrong and you are right AGAIN..

http://www.bfi.org.u

k/features/bfi100/91

-100.html#99

God knows what you would make of Sarah Silverman..
I'll go along with the funniest person to appear in them, Kenneth Williams. He thought they were awful.
[quote][p][bold]jut1972[/bold] wrote: Winston said... it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.. You really are a miserable old git aren't you? Below is a link to the best British films of all time as voted for by the BFI, or let me guess they are wrong and you are right AGAIN.. http://www.bfi.org.u k/features/bfi100/91 -100.html#99 God knows what you would make of Sarah Silverman..[/p][/quote]I'll go along with the funniest person to appear in them, Kenneth Williams. He thought they were awful. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

12:18am Thu 19 Jan 12

Boris says...

romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition.
Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense.
[quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition. Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense. Boris
  • Score: 0

7:10am Thu 19 Jan 12

Yendor says says...

Rather than complaining, perhaps Colchester Lepra and others should see this as a golden opportunity to heighten peoples awareness of the disease and those who are suffering.

Speak to children in schools and maybe ask Aardman films to show a trailer before the movie to educate people.

Unless we make our children / people aware how will they ever know. I for one never knew Colchester Lepra actually existed before this ....
Rather than complaining, perhaps Colchester Lepra and others should see this as a golden opportunity to heighten peoples awareness of the disease and those who are suffering. Speak to children in schools and maybe ask Aardman films to show a trailer before the movie to educate people. Unless we make our children / people aware how will they ever know. I for one never knew Colchester Lepra actually existed before this .... Yendor says
  • Score: 0

9:11am Thu 19 Jan 12

Squidward Tenticals says...

Boris wrote:
romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition.
Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense.
@Boris
It's just a film get over it. LEPRA have missed a great opportunity to publicise this issue
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition. Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense.[/p][/quote]@Boris It's just a film get over it. LEPRA have missed a great opportunity to publicise this issue Squidward Tenticals
  • Score: 0

9:12am Thu 19 Jan 12

Squidward Tenticals says...

Boris wrote:
romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition.
Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense.
@Boris
It's just a film get over it. LEPRA have missed a great opportunity to publicise this issue
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]Romantic, you and others who defend this film and the publicity clip seem to think it's OK because "leprosy is not the top priority for most people here". But this film is going to be shown worldwide, including countries where leprosy is endemic. You have been to India and met lepers there, but most of us haven't, we may never meet lepers in our lives. That doesn't mean we should laugh at their condition. Frankly I feel extremely embarrassed at the thought that one of Britain's so-called leading cultural exporters should even think of inflicting such stupid rubbish on filmgoers. I still hope they will see sense.[/p][/quote]@Boris It's just a film get over it. LEPRA have missed a great opportunity to publicise this issue Squidward Tenticals
  • Score: 0

11:10am Thu 19 Jan 12

romantic says...

6079 Smith W wrote:
romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument.
Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy.
Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.
Winston, you seem to be quite upset by this, which is a shame, because I think we´re actually in broad agreement on many issues.

I will pay you the respect of going through the points raised.

I do not think I have had a go at Lepra in any way. I am not suggesting that we should be out there laughing at lepers. But – and be honest with me here – before this article, how much awareness did you have of leprosy? When I say leprosy is not the top priority for most people here, that is the reality. If you asked most people, I think they would actually think it was something from medieval times, and would be surprised to learn that it still exists. People hear about malaria, cholera, but leprosy, no. I would suggest it is quite possible that the makers of the film did not know the disease still exists.

This is a chance for Lepra to get their profile raised and thereby raise more for the projects in India and elsewhere. That is the practical approach. Even in India, leprosy is not that well publicized. It was purely through a chance meeting that I ended up meeting lepers there. My point of view – and it is only a point of view - is that this scene, and the debate around it, should be seen as a way to make people realize that there are still leprosy cases and that there are organisations including Lepra working to reduce it.

Clever, educated, enlightened? Not sure that I have ever “pretended” to be any of those things. I comment as I see things. I think I´m a fair person who is reasonably well-informed about the world. Define “enlightened”. It seems that somebody is “enlightened” if you agree with them! On the issue of “coloured”: well, my mates who are black, if I call them anything, it´s by their name. The article doesn´t especially “tell me so”. Regarding the specific case on another thread, my opinion was, and is, that the lady should have been taken to the side and quietly advised that a term such as “instant suntan” would not be appropriate, but also wondered if she was giving the whole story.

Trustworthy? Again, I am not sure I could judge that. I try to only comment on stuff I know about or care about. I use the writing of a post as a way of crystallising my viewpoint, so am not necessarily going in with a deep theoretical basis. I know lots of people from right across the political spectrum and try to have the dignity of listening to what they say before jumping back with a response. I suppose it could be seen as sitting on the fence, but my experience of the world is that few things are as black and white as they first seem, and that true idiots will expose themselves if you let them talk long enough.

This site is littered with frothing angry people, and I would consider that we need the balance from people who are properly thinking about the world, rather than just spouting tabloid headlines / UKIP / BNP nonsense. You and Boris, I would count as two who think properly about the world, and, despite the accusation of being completely non-trustworthy, I also count myself as one.

Regarding Carry On films, don’t really have a view. They’re of a time. People obviously enjoyed them when they came out. Humour’s a personal thing. They were only ever supposed to be entertainment, not have any deeper message.
[quote][p][bold]6079 Smith W[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument. Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy. Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.[/p][/quote]Winston, you seem to be quite upset by this, which is a shame, because I think we´re actually in broad agreement on many issues. I will pay you the respect of going through the points raised. I do not think I have had a go at Lepra in any way. I am not suggesting that we should be out there laughing at lepers. But – and be honest with me here – before this article, how much awareness did you have of leprosy? When I say leprosy is not the top priority for most people here, that is the reality. If you asked most people, I think they would actually think it was something from medieval times, and would be surprised to learn that it still exists. People hear about malaria, cholera, but leprosy, no. I would suggest it is quite possible that the makers of the film did not know the disease still exists. This is a chance for Lepra to get their profile raised and thereby raise more for the projects in India and elsewhere. That is the practical approach. Even in India, leprosy is not that well publicized. It was purely through a chance meeting that I ended up meeting lepers there. My point of view – and it is only a point of view - is that this scene, and the debate around it, should be seen as a way to make people realize that there are still leprosy cases and that there are organisations including Lepra working to reduce it. Clever, educated, enlightened? Not sure that I have ever “pretended” to be any of those things. I comment as I see things. I think I´m a fair person who is reasonably well-informed about the world. Define “enlightened”. It seems that somebody is “enlightened” if you agree with them! On the issue of “coloured”: well, my mates who are black, if I call them anything, it´s by their name. The article doesn´t especially “tell me so”. Regarding the specific case on another thread, my opinion was, and is, that the lady should have been taken to the side and quietly advised that a term such as “instant suntan” would not be appropriate, but also wondered if she was giving the whole story. Trustworthy? Again, I am not sure I could judge that. I try to only comment on stuff I know about or care about. I use the writing of a post as a way of crystallising my viewpoint, so am not necessarily going in with a deep theoretical basis. I know lots of people from right across the political spectrum and try to have the dignity of listening to what they say before jumping back with a response. I suppose it could be seen as sitting on the fence, but my experience of the world is that few things are as black and white as they first seem, and that true idiots will expose themselves if you let them talk long enough. This site is littered with frothing angry people, and I would consider that we need the balance from people who are properly thinking about the world, rather than just spouting tabloid headlines / UKIP / BNP nonsense. You and Boris, I would count as two who think properly about the world, and, despite the accusation of being completely non-trustworthy, I also count myself as one. Regarding Carry On films, don’t really have a view. They’re of a time. People obviously enjoyed them when they came out. Humour’s a personal thing. They were only ever supposed to be entertainment, not have any deeper message. romantic
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Thu 19 Jan 12

wellnow says...

read up on the sub continents approach to people with leprosy.you might just be very shocked.
read up on the sub continents approach to people with leprosy.you might just be very shocked. wellnow
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Thu 19 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

romantic wrote:
6079 Smith W wrote:
romantic wrote:
I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting...

Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here.

I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra.

Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.
And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument.
Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy.
Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.
Winston, you seem to be quite upset by this, which is a shame, because I think we´re actually in broad agreement on many issues.

I will pay you the respect of going through the points raised.

I do not think I have had a go at Lepra in any way. I am not suggesting that we should be out there laughing at lepers. But – and be honest with me here – before this article, how much awareness did you have of leprosy? When I say leprosy is not the top priority for most people here, that is the reality. If you asked most people, I think they would actually think it was something from medieval times, and would be surprised to learn that it still exists. People hear about malaria, cholera, but leprosy, no. I would suggest it is quite possible that the makers of the film did not know the disease still exists.

This is a chance for Lepra to get their profile raised and thereby raise more for the projects in India and elsewhere. That is the practical approach. Even in India, leprosy is not that well publicized. It was purely through a chance meeting that I ended up meeting lepers there. My point of view – and it is only a point of view - is that this scene, and the debate around it, should be seen as a way to make people realize that there are still leprosy cases and that there are organisations including Lepra working to reduce it.

Clever, educated, enlightened? Not sure that I have ever “pretended” to be any of those things. I comment as I see things. I think I´m a fair person who is reasonably well-informed about the world. Define “enlightened”. It seems that somebody is “enlightened” if you agree with them! On the issue of “coloured”: well, my mates who are black, if I call them anything, it´s by their name. The article doesn´t especially “tell me so”. Regarding the specific case on another thread, my opinion was, and is, that the lady should have been taken to the side and quietly advised that a term such as “instant suntan” would not be appropriate, but also wondered if she was giving the whole story.

Trustworthy? Again, I am not sure I could judge that. I try to only comment on stuff I know about or care about. I use the writing of a post as a way of crystallising my viewpoint, so am not necessarily going in with a deep theoretical basis. I know lots of people from right across the political spectrum and try to have the dignity of listening to what they say before jumping back with a response. I suppose it could be seen as sitting on the fence, but my experience of the world is that few things are as black and white as they first seem, and that true idiots will expose themselves if you let them talk long enough.

This site is littered with frothing angry people, and I would consider that we need the balance from people who are properly thinking about the world, rather than just spouting tabloid headlines / UKIP / BNP nonsense. You and Boris, I would count as two who think properly about the world, and, despite the accusation of being completely non-trustworthy, I also count myself as one.

Regarding Carry On films, don’t really have a view. They’re of a time. People obviously enjoyed them when they came out. Humour’s a personal thing. They were only ever supposed to be entertainment, not have any deeper message.
Romantic: It terms of my knowledge of leprosy. In all honesty, I know little more than my original comment on here, that it remains a disease of poverty in the third world. I did in the 90s work for an organisation campaigning on third world issues - the arms trade specifically - so I've had for a fair while some knowledge of third world related issues. I do agree, it is very likely that the film makers were ignorant, it wasn't some deliberate intent to cause offence. But I would hope that now, with what was in my view an error that resulted from that ignorance, the film makers have an opportunity, indeed a responsibility, to highlight the issue, and support Lepra's work.
Look, I do not for one moment consider you some sort of racist bigot, clearly not. Perhaps my comments to you were a little harsh, but I remain very surprised you weren't aware of the problem of the word 'coloured'. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that the media has not for years referred to this term (and surprise, surprise, I don't consider the media too enlightened, so surely if even they take this on board it is telling?). I thought perhaps you might have noticed each year, around this time, an article in the Gazette about events for 'Black History Month', with its meetings on 'black civil rights', the 'Black Panthers' etc. Black replaced 'coloured' quite a few years ago (for good reason - we are all, of whatever colour', 'coloured'!), and I'm just very surprised you weren't aware. Now, I'm somewhat complimented that you imply that somehow I'm responsible for such enlightenment, that I'd managed to get the whole of academia, the media, Essex County Council, the whole dam* establishment, on board as to my view of what is 'enlightened'. But alas, I am only the messenger, and only one of so many.
So I do consider you trustworthy, as on the whole I consider most people trustworthy. Those of us with socialist leanings do tend to take this view, socialist leanings become rather difficult if we become distrustful of the human race. I'll leave the right to take the view that human beings are motivated by greed, and the basest instincts. So, as said, perhaps my comments were harsh, but I was just very surprised to see you, of all people, making such comments.
As far as 'Carry On' films, of course, each to their own. They are obviously very sexist (I can remember my mum moaning about this, and she is certainly no big feminist, I did not grow up in some leftie household), but despite the paranoia of those on the right I don't think anybody is trying to get anything 'banned'. And it is interesting to note that of the BFI 100, just one of these films creeps in, at 99. So despite Jut's absurd suggestion, I'm clearly not swimming against the flow of some great 'critical acclaim'. Perhaps even more absurd, is that 'Carry On' and 'critical acclaim' can ever share the same sentence. As said, I'll go with Kenneth Williams, the films are pretty dreadful.
[quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]6079 Smith W[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]romantic[/bold] wrote: I have watched the trailer. I assume everybody has before commenting... Laughing at this is not the same as laughing at leprosy or lepers. It is not equivalent to standing in the street abusing the disabled. It is, quite frankly, just a bit of fun which is only being commented on because somebody at Lepra decided to get it into the press. Lepra, honestly, can use this to gain more publicity. The debate about this is healthy, as let´s be honest, leprosy is not the top priority for most people here. I´ve been to India, I´ve met lepers there. Leprosy can be reduced, it goes hand in hand with tackling poverty. A short clip on a film trailer would have probably gone un-noticed. The fact that it has been raised and is in the press might actually raise the profile of Lepra. Kids watch endless hours of cartoon violence and play shoot em up games from a young age. I´d worry more about that than one line in a trailer.[/p][/quote]And exactly how have Lepra gained this publicity? By laughing along? No, by pointing out it's a cheap, shabby, joke, which you've had a go at them about. So there is a ridiculous contradiction to your argument. Frankly R, you've proved this week you aint anywhere near as clever, educated, or enlightened as you pretend. Not just here, but the fact you don't even know 'coloured' is 30 years out of date, and that despite even that particular article telling you so, still insisting on causing offence by using the word. So not a single thing you say is trustworthy. Jokes about limbs falling off lepers were about in my 70s childhood. So not only is this joke reinforcing false notions of leprosy, it's as funny as watching a Carry On film for the 50th time. And of course they were also completely devoid of humour the first time around.[/p][/quote]Winston, you seem to be quite upset by this, which is a shame, because I think we´re actually in broad agreement on many issues. I will pay you the respect of going through the points raised. I do not think I have had a go at Lepra in any way. I am not suggesting that we should be out there laughing at lepers. But – and be honest with me here – before this article, how much awareness did you have of leprosy? When I say leprosy is not the top priority for most people here, that is the reality. If you asked most people, I think they would actually think it was something from medieval times, and would be surprised to learn that it still exists. People hear about malaria, cholera, but leprosy, no. I would suggest it is quite possible that the makers of the film did not know the disease still exists. This is a chance for Lepra to get their profile raised and thereby raise more for the projects in India and elsewhere. That is the practical approach. Even in India, leprosy is not that well publicized. It was purely through a chance meeting that I ended up meeting lepers there. My point of view – and it is only a point of view - is that this scene, and the debate around it, should be seen as a way to make people realize that there are still leprosy cases and that there are organisations including Lepra working to reduce it. Clever, educated, enlightened? Not sure that I have ever “pretended” to be any of those things. I comment as I see things. I think I´m a fair person who is reasonably well-informed about the world. Define “enlightened”. It seems that somebody is “enlightened” if you agree with them! On the issue of “coloured”: well, my mates who are black, if I call them anything, it´s by their name. The article doesn´t especially “tell me so”. Regarding the specific case on another thread, my opinion was, and is, that the lady should have been taken to the side and quietly advised that a term such as “instant suntan” would not be appropriate, but also wondered if she was giving the whole story. Trustworthy? Again, I am not sure I could judge that. I try to only comment on stuff I know about or care about. I use the writing of a post as a way of crystallising my viewpoint, so am not necessarily going in with a deep theoretical basis. I know lots of people from right across the political spectrum and try to have the dignity of listening to what they say before jumping back with a response. I suppose it could be seen as sitting on the fence, but my experience of the world is that few things are as black and white as they first seem, and that true idiots will expose themselves if you let them talk long enough. This site is littered with frothing angry people, and I would consider that we need the balance from people who are properly thinking about the world, rather than just spouting tabloid headlines / UKIP / BNP nonsense. You and Boris, I would count as two who think properly about the world, and, despite the accusation of being completely non-trustworthy, I also count myself as one. Regarding Carry On films, don’t really have a view. They’re of a time. People obviously enjoyed them when they came out. Humour’s a personal thing. They were only ever supposed to be entertainment, not have any deeper message.[/p][/quote]Romantic: It terms of my knowledge of leprosy. In all honesty, I know little more than my original comment on here, that it remains a disease of poverty in the third world. I did in the 90s work for an organisation campaigning on third world issues - the arms trade specifically - so I've had for a fair while some knowledge of third world related issues. I do agree, it is very likely that the film makers were ignorant, it wasn't some deliberate intent to cause offence. But I would hope that now, with what was in my view an error that resulted from that ignorance, the film makers have an opportunity, indeed a responsibility, to highlight the issue, and support Lepra's work. Look, I do not for one moment consider you some sort of racist bigot, clearly not. Perhaps my comments to you were a little harsh, but I remain very surprised you weren't aware of the problem of the word 'coloured'. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that the media has not for years referred to this term (and surprise, surprise, I don't consider the media too enlightened, so surely if even they take this on board it is telling?). I thought perhaps you might have noticed each year, around this time, an article in the Gazette about events for 'Black History Month', with its meetings on 'black civil rights', the 'Black Panthers' etc. Black replaced 'coloured' quite a few years ago (for good reason - we are all, of whatever colour', 'coloured'!), and I'm just very surprised you weren't aware. Now, I'm somewhat complimented that you imply that somehow I'm responsible for such enlightenment, that I'd managed to get the whole of academia, the media, Essex County Council, the whole dam* establishment, on board as to my view of what is 'enlightened'. But alas, I am only the messenger, and only one of so many. So I do consider you trustworthy, as on the whole I consider most people trustworthy. Those of us with socialist leanings do tend to take this view, socialist leanings become rather difficult if we become distrustful of the human race. I'll leave the right to take the view that human beings are motivated by greed, and the basest instincts. So, as said, perhaps my comments were harsh, but I was just very surprised to see you, of all people, making such comments. As far as 'Carry On' films, of course, each to their own. They are obviously very sexist (I can remember my mum moaning about this, and she is certainly no big feminist, I did not grow up in some leftie household), but despite the paranoia of those on the right I don't think anybody is trying to get anything 'banned'. And it is interesting to note that of the BFI 100, just one of these films creeps in, at 99. So despite Jut's absurd suggestion, I'm clearly not swimming against the flow of some great 'critical acclaim'. Perhaps even more absurd, is that 'Carry On' and 'critical acclaim' can ever share the same sentence. As said, I'll go with Kenneth Williams, the films are pretty dreadful. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

2:13am Fri 20 Jan 12

Boris says...

Yendor says wrote:
Rather than complaining, perhaps Colchester Lepra and others should see this as a golden opportunity to heighten peoples awareness of the disease and those who are suffering.

Speak to children in schools and maybe ask Aardman films to show a trailer before the movie to educate people.

Unless we make our children / people aware how will they ever know. I for one never knew Colchester Lepra actually existed before this ....
Evidently you don't know Colchester very well, or you would have seen the sign in big letters on the former Royal London building in Middleborough which houses (among other organisations) Lepra's world headquarters.
.
The solution is very simple. Aardman must remove that stupid scene from their film, remove it from their trailer, apologise to Lepra, and make a donation. They we can all get back to enjoying their products.
Lepra is not staffed to go round schools all over the UK, but they do get a decent income from those donors who are aware of what they do. Much of their work is financed by government agencies (British and foreign), the EU, etc.
If you visit their website you will see some of the projects they have worked on. For my money they are one of the best charities. They work to combat not only leprosy but also other diseases of poverty such as malaria, tuberculosis, AIDS, or lymphatic filariasis (look that one up and be glad that it is unknown in our complacent, comfortable, rich little country).
[quote][p][bold]Yendor says[/bold] wrote: Rather than complaining, perhaps Colchester Lepra and others should see this as a golden opportunity to heighten peoples awareness of the disease and those who are suffering. Speak to children in schools and maybe ask Aardman films to show a trailer before the movie to educate people. Unless we make our children / people aware how will they ever know. I for one never knew Colchester Lepra actually existed before this ....[/p][/quote]Evidently you don't know Colchester very well, or you would have seen the sign in big letters on the former Royal London building in Middleborough which houses (among other organisations) Lepra's world headquarters. . The solution is very simple. Aardman must remove that stupid scene from their film, remove it from their trailer, apologise to Lepra, and make a donation. They we can all get back to enjoying their products. Lepra is not staffed to go round schools all over the UK, but they do get a decent income from those donors who are aware of what they do. Much of their work is financed by government agencies (British and foreign), the EU, etc. If you visit their website you will see some of the projects they have worked on. For my money they are one of the best charities. They work to combat not only leprosy but also other diseases of poverty such as malaria, tuberculosis, AIDS, or lymphatic filariasis (look that one up and be glad that it is unknown in our complacent, comfortable, rich little country). Boris
  • Score: 0

10:43am Fri 20 Jan 12

Yendor says says...

If I need to spot the charities sign in order to know they have a presence in colchester perhaps that is a failing of the charity itself and simply underlines further the point I was making.

I suspect I am not the only person out there who never knew they existed in Colchester until now.

I do not doubt the merits of this charity, I just think they are missing a trick here .....
If I need to spot the charities sign in order to know they have a presence in colchester perhaps that is a failing of the charity itself and simply underlines further the point I was making. I suspect I am not the only person out there who never knew they existed in Colchester until now. I do not doubt the merits of this charity, I just think they are missing a trick here ..... Yendor says
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Fri 20 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Yendor says wrote:
If I need to spot the charities sign in order to know they have a presence in colchester perhaps that is a failing of the charity itself and simply underlines further the point I was making.

I suspect I am not the only person out there who never knew they existed in Colchester until now.

I do not doubt the merits of this charity, I just think they are missing a trick here .....
OK, charities clearly need to adopt the approach of Mcdonalds and other corporations, and display a sign big enough for those with a small attention span to comprehend. That is obviously the problem, cheers Richieholyandor.
[quote][p][bold]Yendor says[/bold] wrote: If I need to spot the charities sign in order to know they have a presence in colchester perhaps that is a failing of the charity itself and simply underlines further the point I was making. I suspect I am not the only person out there who never knew they existed in Colchester until now. I do not doubt the merits of this charity, I just think they are missing a trick here .....[/p][/quote]OK, charities clearly need to adopt the approach of Mcdonalds and other corporations, and display a sign big enough for those with a small attention span to comprehend. That is obviously the problem, cheers Richieholyandor. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

9:17pm Fri 20 Jan 12

Yendor says says...

But to retain someones attention, they need to make themselves known in the first place.....
But to retain someones attention, they need to make themselves known in the first place..... Yendor says
  • Score: 0

12:32am Sat 21 Jan 12

Boris says...

Yendor says wrote:
But to retain someones attention, they need to make themselves known in the first place.....
OK, you've told us you didn't know, you don't need to bang on about it. Lepra does enough to publicise its presence. It happened to relocate to Colchester about 15 years ago, but its work is worldwide, not local. So it doesn't matter if some Colcestrians aren't aware of it. What does matter is that Lepra is absolutely right to deplore the crass and unfunny depiction of leprosy by the cartoonists at Aardman, and to demand that it be put right.
[quote][p][bold]Yendor says[/bold] wrote: But to retain someones attention, they need to make themselves known in the first place.....[/p][/quote]OK, you've told us you didn't know, you don't need to bang on about it. Lepra does enough to publicise its presence. It happened to relocate to Colchester about 15 years ago, but its work is worldwide, not local. So it doesn't matter if some Colcestrians aren't aware of it. What does matter is that Lepra is absolutely right to deplore the crass and unfunny depiction of leprosy by the cartoonists at Aardman, and to demand that it be put right. Boris
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Sat 21 Jan 12

jut1972 says...

Winston, its a myth Williams didnt like the films, he was fond of them, after all he appeared in more of them than anyone else.

There were films he refused to appear in as he felt the script was poor, for example Carry on Cabby and other films he turned down due to other work.

Despite what you may think, they did well at the box office at the time, Carry on Camping was the highest grossing film of the year.

Obviously like any series of films there are high and low lights, but you'll find few UK films (with the possible exception of the Bond films) that have spawned as many spin offs, stage plays and cemented as many actors careers.

(If it's good enough for Frankie Howard and Harry H Corbett...)
Winston, its a myth Williams didnt like the films, he was fond of them, after all he appeared in more of them than anyone else. There were films he refused to appear in as he felt the script was poor, for example Carry on Cabby and other films he turned down due to other work. Despite what you may think, they did well at the box office at the time, Carry on Camping was the highest grossing film of the year. Obviously like any series of films there are high and low lights, but you'll find few UK films (with the possible exception of the Bond films) that have spawned as many spin offs, stage plays and cemented as many actors careers. (If it's good enough for Frankie Howard and Harry H Corbett...) jut1972
  • Score: 0

9:30am Sun 22 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

'Winston, its a myth Williams didnt like the films, he was fond of them, after all he appeared in more of them than anyone else' (sic).
So the BBC4 documentary I saw on the life of Kenneth Williams (I'm always pretty impressed by the research and attention to detail of BBC4 documentaries) was responsible for this 'myth'? As for the fact that he appeared in more than anyone else, that just means he appeared in the very worst ones, such as Carry On Loving, that even fans like yourself must surely admit were dire? So that part of your argument rather crumbles.
I am not disputing their popularity, as I would not dispute the popularity of Eastenders, Big Brother, or that celebrity in the jungle show. Doesn't mean they're any good.
As said, it's pretty obvious I'm not swimming against the tide of great 'critical acclaim', Fawlty Towers or Blackadder they are not. Sorry, and of course it's merely my opinion, but those of us with a decent sense of humour tend to find the same 3 or 4 childish jokes, repeated over god knows how many films, rather irksome.
'Winston, its a myth Williams didnt like the films, he was fond of them, after all he appeared in more of them than anyone else' (sic). So the BBC4 documentary I saw on the life of Kenneth Williams (I'm always pretty impressed by the research and attention to detail of BBC4 documentaries) was responsible for this 'myth'? As for the fact that he appeared in more than anyone else, that just means he appeared in the very worst ones, such as Carry On Loving, that even fans like yourself must surely admit were dire? So that part of your argument rather crumbles. I am not disputing their popularity, as I would not dispute the popularity of Eastenders, Big Brother, or that celebrity in the jungle show. Doesn't mean they're any good. As said, it's pretty obvious I'm not swimming against the tide of great 'critical acclaim', Fawlty Towers or Blackadder they are not. Sorry, and of course it's merely my opinion, but those of us with a decent sense of humour tend to find the same 3 or 4 childish jokes, repeated over god knows how many films, rather irksome. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

3:47pm Sun 22 Jan 12

jut1972 says...

I wouldnt put Blackadder anywhere near the quality of Fawlty Towers. Steptoe, Dad's army ... yes, Blackadder no.

Agree with you on Carry on Loving, but Williams on the whole appeared in some great ones, Carry on Screaming, Cleo, follow that camel..

(getting off topic here arent we...)
I wouldnt put Blackadder anywhere near the quality of Fawlty Towers. Steptoe, Dad's army ... yes, Blackadder no. Agree with you on Carry on Loving, but Williams on the whole appeared in some great ones, Carry on Screaming, Cleo, follow that camel.. (getting off topic here arent we...) jut1972
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Sun 22 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Well the BFI TV 100 has Blackadder goes Forth at 16 (the 6th best comedy). Slightly below Dads' Army (13), but quite a bit ahead of Steptoe at 44 (and I agree, both are superb). And yes, we are somewhat off topic now...
Well the BFI TV 100 has Blackadder goes Forth at 16 (the 6th best comedy). Slightly below Dads' Army (13), but quite a bit ahead of Steptoe at 44 (and I agree, both are superb). And yes, we are somewhat off topic now... 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Sun 22 Jan 12

Sdapeze says...

It was just a piece of fun. Schoolkid stuff. Not to be taken seriously.
It was just a piece of fun. Schoolkid stuff. Not to be taken seriously. Sdapeze
  • Score: 0

11:45pm Sun 22 Jan 12

The old see dog says...

What on earth is going on in this world today? It seems that everyone no mater what race, creed or shade (as the word colour seems to be offensive)can say what and do what they like even take the mickey out of their own shade, race and what ever illness, disfigurement they have.Others have wished death upon us and burned our flag called us honky's Brits, Poms, limeys and murderers and even want to impose their religion and laws on us and that seems to be OK, but it seems that the white English cannot do or say anything as it might upset people that are different. They cant call the Irish Paddy's, Scottish jocks, Welsh Taffy's or people from other Countries by a shortened name of the place that they come from as it is deemed by the few of our own that seem to be more concerned about others in this world than their own as offencive. The English have always, do and always will make a joke out of any situation. There is enough insults and put downs on here but do we take it seriously? Get a life people and enjoy it, live it to the full because it is too short not to. Have a nice day
What on earth is going on in this world today? It seems that everyone no mater what race, creed or shade (as the word colour seems to be offensive)can say what and do what they like even take the mickey out of their own shade, race and what ever illness, disfigurement they have.Others have wished death upon us and burned our flag called us honky's Brits, Poms, limeys and murderers and even want to impose their religion and laws on us and that seems to be OK, but it seems that the white English cannot do or say anything as it might upset people that are different. They cant call the Irish Paddy's, Scottish jocks, Welsh Taffy's or people from other Countries by a shortened name of the place that they come from as it is deemed by the few of our own that seem to be more concerned about others in this world than their own as offencive. The English have always, do and always will make a joke out of any situation. There is enough insults and put downs on here but do we take it seriously? Get a life people and enjoy it, live it to the full because it is too short not to. Have a nice day The old see dog
  • Score: 0

2:00am Mon 23 Jan 12

Boris says...

Bring back the great Benny Hill, the one British comedy series that is shown on TV in every country in the world.
Bring back the great Benny Hill, the one British comedy series that is shown on TV in every country in the world. Boris
  • Score: 0

1:40pm Mon 23 Jan 12

The old see dog says...

Bring back Till Death Do Us Part and Love Thy Neighbour uncut and uncensored
Bring back Till Death Do Us Part and Love Thy Neighbour uncut and uncensored The old see dog
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Mon 23 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

The old see dog wrote:
Bring back Till Death Do Us Part and Love Thy Neighbour uncut and uncensored
A big yes to the first, which extracted the urine out of the idiotic racism that was behind the second.
[quote][p][bold]The old see dog[/bold] wrote: Bring back Till Death Do Us Part and Love Thy Neighbour uncut and uncensored[/p][/quote]A big yes to the first, which extracted the urine out of the idiotic racism that was behind the second. 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

6:23pm Mon 23 Jan 12

6079 Smith W says...

Stephen Fry has just Tweeted the following:-
'I know some thought I was too PC & sanctimonious to express regret at Aardman's leprosy joke, but they've relented and changed the trailer'
...and:-
'Kudos to Aardman I do believe in laughing at most things but @LEPRA_HinA will remind you that leprosy is a desperate condition. Tx Aardman!'
Stephen Fry has just Tweeted the following:- 'I know some thought I was too PC & sanctimonious to express regret at Aardman's leprosy joke, but they've relented and changed the trailer' ...and:- 'Kudos to Aardman I do believe in laughing at most things but @LEPRA_HinA will remind you that leprosy is a desperate condition. Tx Aardman!' 6079 Smith W
  • Score: 0

3:29am Tue 24 Jan 12

Boris says...

6079 Smith W wrote:
Stephen Fry has just Tweeted the following:-
'I know some thought I was too PC & sanctimonious to express regret at Aardman's leprosy joke, but they've relented and changed the trailer'
...and:-
'Kudos to Aardman I do believe in laughing at most things but @LEPRA_HinA will remind you that leprosy is a desperate condition. Tx Aardman!'
Good that they have corrected the trailer, but they must correct the actual film before it goes out on release.
[quote][p][bold]6079 Smith W[/bold] wrote: Stephen Fry has just Tweeted the following:- 'I know some thought I was too PC & sanctimonious to express regret at Aardman's leprosy joke, but they've relented and changed the trailer' ...and:- 'Kudos to Aardman I do believe in laughing at most things but @LEPRA_HinA will remind you that leprosy is a desperate condition. Tx Aardman!'[/p][/quote]Good that they have corrected the trailer, but they must correct the actual film before it goes out on release. Boris
  • Score: 0

11:45am Tue 24 Jan 12

T H E G R I N C H says...

6079 Smith W wrote:
Boris wrote:
Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty.
If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra".
And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off?
Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them?
Grow up.
.
http://www.lepraheal


thinaction.org/lepro


sy-myth-busters/
Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible.
However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra.
http://en.wikipedia.

org/wiki/File:Lepra_

2003.png
Well if there third world they most probably wont see it so it wont offend then will it .
[quote][p][bold]6079 Smith W[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: Gordon Bennett, what an ignorant lot you all are. One or two of you are usually very enlightened so it is a real disappointment to see you find leprosy funny. Do you make jokes about breast cancer or strokes or multiple sclerosis? No, you don't, but you seem to think it is all right to make jokes about diseases of poverty. If you think this is a trivial local issue, I suggest you look at all the reports in the national press. Make a start with the Lepra website, just google "lepra". And how do you expect the chief executive of this locally-based global charity to react? Just laugh it off? Should wheelchair users or black people just smile when someone makes fun of them? Grow up. . http://www.lepraheal thinaction.org/lepro sy-myth-busters/[/p][/quote]Leprosy is a third world disease of poverty. So the dubious attitudes displayed (both on here and by the film makers) suggest ignorance based on socio-economics, race, and supposed notions of body disfigurement. Talking about trying to get in as many dubious attitudes as possible. However, I've always quite liked Wallace & Grommett. I hope the film makers can accept they've been thoughtless and ignorant, and will now show support for the work of Lepra. http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/File:Lepra_ 2003.png[/p][/quote]Well if there third world they most probably wont see it so it wont offend then will it . T H E G R I N C H
  • Score: 0

11:52am Tue 24 Jan 12

T H E G R I N C H says...

It’s an historical disease and that’s how it is being portrayed they obviously mean no offence to today’s sufferers. It’s brought the charity more publicity than they could ever have hoped for any other way.
It’s an historical disease and that’s how it is being portrayed they obviously mean no offence to today’s sufferers. It’s brought the charity more publicity than they could ever have hoped for any other way. T H E G R I N C H
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Sun 29 Jan 12

Bit_Bytr says...

...and as I argued elsewhere, the k is aimed not at lepers but the STEREOTYPE of lepers. Since when do we see people afflicted with the disease actually lose an arm? Or a leg? It's a joke on the seventies perception (if you like ol' mate). You don't have to be a member of the loony left to appreciate that but even those more closely grouped around the center.

There is good that comes from this brouhaha (not least to learn it's not just me that the old Smith et al. lay into to increase their own sense of righteousness and legitimacy). I didn't know of LEPRA, and, even though I live now a considerable distance from the Colchester area, I'm made more aware of the issue. And it hasn't meant that I thought less of suffers than when this all began.

Cheers.
...and as I argued elsewhere, the k is aimed not at lepers but the STEREOTYPE of lepers. Since when do we see people afflicted with the disease actually lose an arm? Or a leg? It's a joke on the seventies perception (if you like ol' mate). You don't have to be a member of the loony left to appreciate that but even those more closely grouped around the center. There is good that comes from this brouhaha (not least to learn it's not just me that the old Smith et al. lay into to increase their own sense of righteousness and legitimacy). I didn't know of LEPRA, and, even though I live now a considerable distance from the Colchester area, I'm made more aware of the issue. And it hasn't meant that I thought less of suffers than when this all began. Cheers. Bit_Bytr
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree