• A MAN has been jailed after stealing 12 cans of beer from a convenience shop.

John McQuire, who has a long history of thefts, stole four cans of Stella Artois and eight cans of Guinness from a shop in February.

The 26-year-old appeared in Colchester Magistrates’ Court yesterday and admitted one count of theft.

McQuire, who is currently living in Bakery Place, in Colchester, also admitted missing three appointments with the Probation Service, in March.

Magistrates jailed him for four weeks for the theft and an extra 14-days for the breaches.

The sentences will run consecutively.

  • A WOMAN will appear in court after she denied damaging cars whilst drink-driving.

Donna Owen, from Witham, was allegedly driving along Maltings Lane in the town whilst over the limit on March 24.

Owen, 30, of Carraways, supposedly damaged an Audi TT and a Nissan Micra following an accident and had failed to report it to police.

She had 70 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath- the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Owen denied three charges including drink-driving, causing damage to another vehicle and failing to stop at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on April 11.

She is on unconditional bail until August 7, when she will appear again for trial at Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

  • A MAN was disqualified from driving after he failed to carry out a breath test after an accident.

Piotr Prodziewicz, from Braintree, damaged a Vauxhall Zafira on Bradford Street in Braintree on March 1.

Prodziewicz, 36, of Queens Road, admitted charges of failing to provide a breath test and failing to stop after an accident, at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on April 4.

He was fined £200 and £115 costs and was disqualified from driving for 12 months.

There was no separate penalty for failing to stop.

  • A MAN will face court charged with causing grievous bodily harm.

James Parkes, from Halstead, is accused of the offence which took place in the town on April 11.

Parkes, 50, of Cutting Drive, is now in custody after appearing at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on April 13.

He is due to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court on May 11.