DETECTIVES have been given two extensions as they continue to question a teenager suspected of murdering James Attfield.

An 18-year-old from Southend has been answering questions following the murder of 33-year-old father-of-five Jim, who was killed near Colchester’s Castle Park on Saturday, March 29, shortly before 6am.

He was stabbed 102 times during the brutal and savage attack and left to die minutes after he was found.

It is not clear how long he had been there but the last confirmed sighting was 10pm at the previous evening at River Lodge.

The 18-year-old under suspicion was first arrested last Thursday and released on bail the next day.

He was re-arrested on Tuesday night and kept in custody for 24 hours - the legal limit without approved extensions.

A senior officer then granted one extension of 12 hours and a magistrate has granted police another 24 hours to question him.

These extensions are only possible when necessary to preserve evidence, where the alleged offence is serious and where the investigation is being carried out as quickly as possible.

Officers are also expected to be able to demonstrate how the extra time in custody will help them progress the investigation.

There are currently nine people arrested in connection with the murder, including six on suspicion of murder.

The others include a 27-year-old man and woman from Colchester.

They were first arrested in April on suspicion of having a connection with the murder before being re-arrested on suspicion of murder last week.

A 57-year-old man and 31-year-old man, both from Colchester, were arrested on Thursday on suspicion of murder and released on police bail last Friday until next month, together with a 25-year-old woman from Southend.

A 23-year-old woman from Ipswich was arrested last week on suspicion of perverting the course of justice and bailed.

Two 33-year-old men from Colchester are also on bail having been arrested in connection with the murder in June.

More than 100 detectives are working to solve this murder, committed more than four months ago, and the murder of Nahid Al-Manea.

They are being run as separate but parallel investigations.

On Tuesday, June 17, Nahid Al-Manea, 31, of Woodrow Way, left home on her way to a lecture at Essex University at about 10am.

Shortly before 10.40am she was found dead, stabbed 16 times on a path on the Salary Brook Trail.

Anyone with information call the incident room on 01245 282103 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.