Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
New campaign helps victims flee domestic abuse
9:33am Wednesday 16th July 2014 in News
MILLIONS of people have been made aware of a new domestic violence campaign in Essex.
All the counties councils, police and a number of survivors of abuse are supporting the Standing Together initiative.
Social media shares on Facebook and Twitter saw the campaign go global within hours following its launch last month with #tweetyourfeet and #notodomesticabuse trending.
Dick Madden, cabinet member for Children and Families at Essex County Council, said: “The figures are outstanding, I am truly pleased and overwhelmed not only have we reached so many people, but survivors and victims have felt empowered to come forward for support because of the campaign.”
One survivor said: “Seeing how seriously the issue is being taken and the effort to spread the awareness was what inspired me to come forward and ask for help.”
Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh, from Essex Police, added: “The reaction from the people of Essex and beyond has been fantastic.
“Survivors have told us because of this campaign they have found the courage to leave abusive relationships.
“I have ‘tweeted my feet’ and I would urge others to continue to show their support.
“Together we can make a difference and help transform people’s lives.”
For more information and advice visit www.essex.police.uk/standingtogether