All hail the ale! 3,458 drink 13,000 pints at festival

Gazette: All hail the ale! 3,458 drink 13,000 pints at festival All hail the ale! 3,458 drink 13,000 pints at festival

ALE lovers drank their way through more than 13,000 pints at this year’s Colchester beer festival.

Camra’s annual event, which ran from Wednesday until Saturday, is thought to have been the biggest yet, with 3,458 people visiting the Art Centre, in Church Street.

They drank 11,808 pints of ale and a further 1,500 pints of cider and perry.

Read more in today's Gazette.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:34am Tue 3 Jun 14

Shrubendlad says...

So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then
So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then Shrubendlad
  • Score: -21

11:43am Tue 3 Jun 14

wormshero says...

Last time I checked we're allowed to like real ale and cider but not hate foreigners. The majority of people who go out for a couple of nice drinks aren't Ukip supporters, but thanks for your concern.
Last time I checked we're allowed to like real ale and cider but not hate foreigners. The majority of people who go out for a couple of nice drinks aren't Ukip supporters, but thanks for your concern. wormshero
  • Score: 8

11:49am Tue 3 Jun 14

Jack222 says...

That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity...
That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity... Jack222
  • Score: -4

12:02pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Catchedicam says...

A great atmosphere and some great beers available, well done to local CAMRA, looking forward to the winter festival now... but of course must go to Chappel before that.
A great atmosphere and some great beers available, well done to local CAMRA, looking forward to the winter festival now... but of course must go to Chappel before that. Catchedicam
  • Score: 4

12:40pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Ritchie_Hicks says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then
You just broke rule number 1 of the Beer Festival guide.

NEVER talk about politics!
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then[/p][/quote]You just broke rule number 1 of the Beer Festival guide. NEVER talk about politics! Ritchie_Hicks
  • Score: 6

12:48pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Jess Jephcott says...

hic!
hic! Jess Jephcott
  • Score: -6

12:56pm Tue 3 Jun 14

wormshero says...

Jack222 wrote:
That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity...
Lots of people stick to halves so they can try a wider range of high quality ales/ciders, if that's what you mean? Also, four pints is hardly a large amount - it promotes spending slightly more to drink less and get good quality. Surely preferable to going and drinking 6+ pints of low quality lager?
[quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity...[/p][/quote]Lots of people stick to halves so they can try a wider range of high quality ales/ciders, if that's what you mean? Also, four pints is hardly a large amount - it promotes spending slightly more to drink less and get good quality. Surely preferable to going and drinking 6+ pints of low quality lager? wormshero
  • Score: 6

1:32pm Tue 3 Jun 14

jammin says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then
Coming from Shrub End you're more likely to be a UKIP supporter, more so seeing as you are clearly uneducated too!
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then[/p][/quote]Coming from Shrub End you're more likely to be a UKIP supporter, more so seeing as you are clearly uneducated too! jammin
  • Score: -3

2:38pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Shrubendlad says...

jammin wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then
Coming from Shrub End you're more likely to be a UKIP supporter, more so seeing as you are clearly uneducated too!
Yes,No, and a degree or two.
[quote][p][bold]jammin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: So that's 13000 UKIP supporters celebrating then[/p][/quote]Coming from Shrub End you're more likely to be a UKIP supporter, more so seeing as you are clearly uneducated too![/p][/quote]Yes,No, and a degree or two. Shrubendlad
  • Score: -2

3:15pm Tue 3 Jun 14

romantic says...

Jack222 wrote:
That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity...
I can't work out if you're saying it's too much or too little! The Beer Festival is a chance for different brewers to show off their beers, so quality tends to be good. 4 pints in an evening doesn't seem excessive at a festival specifically aimed at beer drinkers. I would far rather meet a gang of real ale drinkers after 4 pints than a bunch of lagered-up idiots after 4 pints of Stella.
[quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: That's an average of four pints each (roughly) - it's not exactly a brilliant model to advertise. Surely it's the quality which should be talked about, not the quantity...[/p][/quote]I can't work out if you're saying it's too much or too little! The Beer Festival is a chance for different brewers to show off their beers, so quality tends to be good. 4 pints in an evening doesn't seem excessive at a festival specifically aimed at beer drinkers. I would far rather meet a gang of real ale drinkers after 4 pints than a bunch of lagered-up idiots after 4 pints of Stella. romantic
  • Score: 5

3:44pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Nom De Plume says...

congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ! Nom De Plume
  • Score: -2

4:07pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Ritchie_Hicks says...

Nom De Plume wrote:
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
Have you ever considered counselling?
[quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ![/p][/quote]Have you ever considered counselling? Ritchie_Hicks
  • Score: 9

4:44pm Tue 3 Jun 14

Catchedicam says...

Nom De Plume wrote:
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
I did not see anyone who was p*ssed as you so eloquently put it, and profits/donations were made to The Poppy Appeal or is that not a good enough cause? You seem to have a problem with people enjoying themselves, perhaps it's your self that needs to get real......in life ! ! !
[quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ![/p][/quote]I did not see anyone who was p*ssed as you so eloquently put it, and profits/donations were made to The Poppy Appeal or is that not a good enough cause? You seem to have a problem with people enjoying themselves, perhaps it's your self that needs to get real......in life ! ! ! Catchedicam
  • Score: 5

6:32am Wed 4 Jun 14

UndergroundOverground says...

Nom De Plume wrote:
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
Yes I suppose the fact your father was a hopeless drunk coupled with the ban on tobacco advertising in motor sport would logically mean organised well run beer festivals should be banned.

Good thing we have rational brain boxes like you to point out such things.
[quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ![/p][/quote]Yes I suppose the fact your father was a hopeless drunk coupled with the ban on tobacco advertising in motor sport would logically mean organised well run beer festivals should be banned. Good thing we have rational brain boxes like you to point out such things. UndergroundOverground
  • Score: 5

8:59am Wed 4 Jun 14

romantic says...

Nom De Plume wrote:
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
You clearly have an issue with any alcohol, and I have no doubt it is harrowing what happened to your father. However, the fact is that there is a world of difference between a well-run beer festival and somebody knocking back the spirits to excess. Somebody having 3 or 4 pints of beer is not going to end up as an alcoholic.

Any one of us can choose to go to the supermarket or off-licence right now and buy enough hard liquor to kill ourselves. Most choose not to. I drink beer on a regular basis, mainly at my local pub. Wine now and then. Spirits almost never. Clearly, there are people for whom alcohol is a problem. The A & E dept on a weekend night is testament to that, as are the people like your father who drink to excess and then suffer for it. However, it is not an automatic progression. The people who go to a beer festival tend to be like me, they mainly drink beer. I would say that few alcoholics would go to a beer festival. Why not? Because if they've reached that stage, they're more likely to be buying cheap spirits from the supermarket and drinking at home.

Not everybody drinks to get drunk. I am very rarely drunk. A few will have staggered home from the beer festival, but most will have walked home as normal. With all due respect, not everybody has the same addictive trait it sounds like your father had, and it is not right to disparage others' enjoyment just because he took it to excess.
[quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ![/p][/quote]You clearly have an issue with any alcohol, and I have no doubt it is harrowing what happened to your father. However, the fact is that there is a world of difference between a well-run beer festival and somebody knocking back the spirits to excess. Somebody having 3 or 4 pints of beer is not going to end up as an alcoholic. Any one of us can choose to go to the supermarket or off-licence right now and buy enough hard liquor to kill ourselves. Most choose not to. I drink beer on a regular basis, mainly at my local pub. Wine now and then. Spirits almost never. Clearly, there are people for whom alcohol is a problem. The A & E dept on a weekend night is testament to that, as are the people like your father who drink to excess and then suffer for it. However, it is not an automatic progression. The people who go to a beer festival tend to be like me, they mainly drink beer. I would say that few alcoholics would go to a beer festival. Why not? Because if they've reached that stage, they're more likely to be buying cheap spirits from the supermarket and drinking at home. Not everybody drinks to get drunk. I am very rarely drunk. A few will have staggered home from the beer festival, but most will have walked home as normal. With all due respect, not everybody has the same addictive trait it sounds like your father had, and it is not right to disparage others' enjoyment just because he took it to excess. romantic
  • Score: 5

10:49pm Wed 4 Jun 14

The-Professionals says...

UndergroundOvergroun
d
wrote:
Nom De Plume wrote:
congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! !
Yes I suppose the fact your father was a hopeless drunk coupled with the ban on tobacco advertising in motor sport would logically mean organised well run beer festivals should be banned.

Good thing we have rational brain boxes like you to point out such things.
Hark the return of justice79 have they just let you out of "The Lakes" again?
The bastion and friend of all that is perceived as Public Sector and Grey Suit.
Official friend and spokesperson of The Teflon's and all the little Non Sticks. (By the way please tell your friends to ask Chief Teflon, to issue some Bromide to his staff in their tea will you?).
I have a question for you oh so mighty one.
1. You describe this persons father as a hopeless drunk, how do you know this?
2. You say that P.D. is a rational brain box, how do you know this?
3. Why do you talk so much sh** that your mouth is so brown?
Are you by any chance in an advanced menopausal state?
I recommend a good gynaecologist you are a complete ******
[quote][p][bold]UndergroundOvergroun d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nom De Plume[/bold] wrote: congratulations in your success i hope this brazen open display of offering vintage cultured beverages is one you will get to enjoy without any adverse effects on others. be reminded of those of who over indulged in such like my dad now deceased god bless him. i recall the days when he was bursting veins on his bloated abdomen spraying blood all over the walls. it took me 7 years to detox the old chap. 5 detoxes in hospital, countless monies spent by the nhs, until they managed to stabilize him all because he had a penchant for fine wine, reel beer, and vintage brandy and whisky. formula uno is not allowed to advertise tobacco so why is the system allowed to promote this, surely its just another posh way of getting p*ssed? i still think this is just a load of old ball **** and an excuse for a good time. was there a collection pot for the poor an disenfranchised? or did you spend any extras on the lavish muscled head security that i saw walking in that direction? real ale, you need to get real......in life ! ! ![/p][/quote]Yes I suppose the fact your father was a hopeless drunk coupled with the ban on tobacco advertising in motor sport would logically mean organised well run beer festivals should be banned. Good thing we have rational brain boxes like you to point out such things.[/p][/quote]Hark the return of justice79 have they just let you out of "The Lakes" again? The bastion and friend of all that is perceived as Public Sector and Grey Suit. Official friend and spokesperson of The Teflon's and all the little Non Sticks. (By the way please tell your friends to ask Chief Teflon, to issue some Bromide to his staff in their tea will you?). I have a question for you oh so mighty one. 1. You describe this persons father as a hopeless drunk, how do you know this? 2. You say that P.D. is a rational brain box, how do you know this? 3. Why do you talk so much sh** that your mouth is so brown? Are you by any chance in an advanced menopausal state? I recommend a good gynaecologist you are a complete ****** The-Professionals
  • Score: 0

8:30am Sat 7 Jun 14

SAndrewss says...

Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/
Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/ SAndrewss
  • Score: 3

8:40am Sat 7 Jun 14

Conspiracy Theory says...

SAndrewss wrote:
Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/
well it was until you turned up :-(
where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r ..........
[quote][p][bold]SAndrewss[/bold] wrote: Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/[/p][/quote]well it was until you turned up :-( where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r .......... Conspiracy Theory
  • Score: -3

9:42am Sat 7 Jun 14

SAndrewss says...

Conspiracy Theory wrote:
SAndrewss wrote:
Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/
well it was until you turned up :-(
where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r ..........
Eh? How very strange.
[quote][p][bold]Conspiracy Theory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SAndrewss[/bold] wrote: Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/[/p][/quote]well it was until you turned up :-( where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r ..........[/p][/quote]Eh? How very strange. SAndrewss
  • Score: 3

10:52am Sat 7 Jun 14

Ritchie_Hicks says...

Conspiracy Theory wrote:
SAndrewss wrote:
Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/
well it was until you turned up :-(
where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r ..........
ZZZzzzzzz...........
................
[quote][p][bold]Conspiracy Theory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SAndrewss[/bold] wrote: Refreshingly civilised discussions going on here. :-/[/p][/quote]well it was until you turned up :-( where have you been by the way, your little gang of fiends has missed you? ;-0) ..........no r ..........[/p][/quote]ZZZzzzzzz........... ................ Ritchie_Hicks
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree