A POLICE whistleblower has resigned, claiming he was bullied by officers from two forces.

PC James Patrick, from Brightlingsea, went public, accusing the Metropolitan Police of routinely fiddling crime figures.

Four months after making the claims to an MPs’ committee, he has quit the force, claiming both Met and Essex Police officers bullied him.

Now his MP, Bernard Jenkin, has promised to raise the case in the House of Commons.

The Tory MP for Harwich and North Essex said: “I am very unhappy.

"His appearance before the Public Administration Select Committee, which I chair, completely vindicated the concerns he raised.

“The Metropolitan Police are simply in denial about their responsibility for this state of affairs, and in denial about the public service which has been given by this officer.”

Mr Patrick accused the London force of deliberately downgrading some crimes, and not recording others.

He claimed people who reported crimes, including victims of rape, were dissuaded from pressing ahead with complaints.

He has quit the force, claiming he was bullied at NewScotland Yard and by Essex officers, who visited his home to “rattle his cage”.

He added: “This has not been an easy decision. My experience led me to see just how flawed the whistleblowing system is.

“My resignation arises directly from my treatment, as a result of making disclosures in good faith and in the public interest.

“My family and I have had to live under this threat. Even so, I carried on acting in the public interest, resulting in me being effectively bullied at New Scotland Yard.

“Worse still, Essex Police were sent to my home under the banner of welfare, themselves concluding they had been sent to rattle our cages.”

Mr Patrick’s original allegations, made in a book, were denied by the Met and he was charged with gross misconduct. His allegations later became the focus of an investigation in Parliament.

The Metropolitan Police declined to comment on Mr Patrick’s resignation or his claims of bullying.

An Essex Police spokesman said it had been contacted by the Met over concerns for the welfare of one of their officers.

He added: “We attended the home and discovered he was safe and well with his family. He did raise some concerns, but was grateful for Essex Police advice at the time.”