Accident fear as drivers carry out U-turns on East Hill

First published in News

DRIVERS have been criticised for getting round Colchester’s new bus lanes policy by performing potentially dangerous U-turns.

Since October, cars have been prohibited from turning right from High Street into Queen Street. Flouting the ban risks a £30 fine.

Some High Street drivers have been continuing down East Hill, carrying out U-turns – often using Lewis Gardens, the entrance to Firstsite – then driving back up East Hill and turning left into Queen Street.

Although such turns are legal, some residents believe the manoeuvre often constitutes careless driving.

See Friday's Gazette for more

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:00pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

Simple answer then is to remove the bus lane and allow all traffic access to Queens Street from the High Street. Stupid idea in the first place!
Simple answer then is to remove the bus lane and allow all traffic access to Queens Street from the High Street. Stupid idea in the first place! Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: 58

5:10pm Fri 14 Mar 14

hughie-s says...

Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.
Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF. hughie-s
  • Score: -29

5:21pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Weazelbum says...

If you ban them doing that, they'll just turn into Roman Road and do it there instead! I would like just one sensible reason why cars are not allowed to turn right into Queen Street?! To allow car access from one direction but not another just beggars belief!! Buses are a major pain in the backside, they block both the High Street and Queen Street by not pulling into their stops properly!
If you ban them doing that, they'll just turn into Roman Road and do it there instead! I would like just one sensible reason why cars are not allowed to turn right into Queen Street?! To allow car access from one direction but not another just beggars belief!! Buses are a major pain in the backside, they block both the High Street and Queen Street by not pulling into their stops properly! Weazelbum
  • Score: 46

6:46pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Simon Taylor says...

This was totally predictable - and predicted. In the time it takes me to walk from Roman Road to The Minories I typically see about 3 or 4 cars and vans doing the U turn, and sometimes they are queuing up to do it. But who can blame them?

Banning U-turns outside The Minories would just shift the manoeuvring elsewhere. In fact, some traffic already makes the sharp right turn into Queen Street immediately in front of the War Memorial, while the crossing outside the ex-VIC should be clear for pedestrians.

We did not have these problems with the original traffic restrictions.
This was totally predictable - and predicted. In the time it takes me to walk from Roman Road to The Minories I typically see about 3 or 4 cars and vans doing the U turn, and sometimes they are queuing up to do it. But who can blame them? Banning U-turns outside The Minories would just shift the manoeuvring elsewhere. In fact, some traffic already makes the sharp right turn into Queen Street immediately in front of the War Memorial, while the crossing outside the ex-VIC should be clear for pedestrians. We did not have these problems with the original traffic restrictions. Simon Taylor
  • Score: 32

6:47pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Simon Taylor says...

Incidentally, I have also had cars doing the U-turn around me while I've been walking on the footpath!
Incidentally, I have also had cars doing the U-turn around me while I've been walking on the footpath! Simon Taylor
  • Score: 14

7:04pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Misty4 says...

God only knows how much petrol is being wasted - or global warming being created, if you're into that - by drivers going around the long way! The fact that SO MANY drivers are doing U-turns is proof in itself that the right turn from High Street into Queen Street should never have been prohibited. It is a completely and utterly ridiculous rule!
God only knows how much petrol is being wasted - or global warming being created, if you're into that - by drivers going around the long way! The fact that SO MANY drivers are doing U-turns is proof in itself that the right turn from High Street into Queen Street should never have been prohibited. It is a completely and utterly ridiculous rule! Misty4
  • Score: 38

7:05pm Fri 14 Mar 14

The King of Colchester says...

Drivers are perfectly entitled to turn their vehicle around. As long as they do it within the Highway Code, no one can stop them.

This article just goes to show how poorly this bus lane has been planned.
Drivers are perfectly entitled to turn their vehicle around. As long as they do it within the Highway Code, no one can stop them. This article just goes to show how poorly this bus lane has been planned. The King of Colchester
  • Score: 37

8:20pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Route88 says...

I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office. Route88
  • Score: 13

9:59pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Fellulah69 says...

It is the most pointless bus lane! If Queen Street as a whole was a bus only route it would make sense; but what is the council doing to "minimise" traffic by stopping car drivers from using a 10 yard bit of road. Pointless and a way of using the budget by painting road marking and making road signs! If people turn round properly and carefully and pay attention to traffic coming up the hill before pulling out, what is the problem? Does that mean we should stop all turns at road entrances?? Ridiculous......
It is the most pointless bus lane! If Queen Street as a whole was a bus only route it would make sense; but what is the council doing to "minimise" traffic by stopping car drivers from using a 10 yard bit of road. Pointless and a way of using the budget by painting road marking and making road signs! If people turn round properly and carefully and pay attention to traffic coming up the hill before pulling out, what is the problem? Does that mean we should stop all turns at road entrances?? Ridiculous...... Fellulah69
  • Score: 14

10:06pm Fri 14 Mar 14

hughie-s says...

Route88 wrote:
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.
[quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.[/p][/quote]But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned. hughie-s
  • Score: 11

12:51am Sat 15 Mar 14

Boris says...

hughie-s wrote:
Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.
Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic.
Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules.
All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned.
[quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.[/p][/quote]Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic. Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules. All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned. Boris
  • Score: 7

12:54am Sat 15 Mar 14

Boris says...

Weazelbum wrote:
If you ban them doing that, they'll just turn into Roman Road and do it there instead! I would like just one sensible reason why cars are not allowed to turn right into Queen Street?! To allow car access from one direction but not another just beggars belief!! Buses are a major pain in the backside, they block both the High Street and Queen Street by not pulling into their stops properly!
Buses are the only vehicles that should be allowed in the High Street.
[quote][p][bold]Weazelbum[/bold] wrote: If you ban them doing that, they'll just turn into Roman Road and do it there instead! I would like just one sensible reason why cars are not allowed to turn right into Queen Street?! To allow car access from one direction but not another just beggars belief!! Buses are a major pain in the backside, they block both the High Street and Queen Street by not pulling into their stops properly![/p][/quote]Buses are the only vehicles that should be allowed in the High Street. Boris
  • Score: -12

6:38am Sat 15 Mar 14

micksmercs says...

I would like to thank the lunatic in the Mercedes PARCEL FORCE van who swung round the island in front of the tourist board office at 3.45 pm on Wednesday 13th March.causing me to brake and swerve to avoid him.I do hope that your boss is reading this. He is welcome to contact me through the Gazette for a video replay.
I would like to thank the lunatic in the Mercedes PARCEL FORCE van who swung round the island in front of the tourist board office at 3.45 pm on Wednesday 13th March.causing me to brake and swerve to avoid him.I do hope that your boss is reading this. He is welcome to contact me through the Gazette for a video replay. micksmercs
  • Score: 5

8:03am Sat 15 Mar 14

Route88 says...

hughie-s wrote:
Route88 wrote:
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.
That is what I was thinking.
[quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.[/p][/quote]But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.[/p][/quote]That is what I was thinking. Route88
  • Score: 8

8:54am Sat 15 Mar 14

Weazelbum says...

I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion!
I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion! Weazelbum
  • Score: 4

9:44am Sat 15 Mar 14

The King of Colchester says...

Route88 wrote:
hughie-s wrote:
Route88 wrote:
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.
That is what I was thinking.
No, it isn't.
[quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.[/p][/quote]But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.[/p][/quote]That is what I was thinking.[/p][/quote]No, it isn't. The King of Colchester
  • Score: 5

9:45am Sat 15 Mar 14

The King of Colchester says...

Weazelbum wrote:
I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion!
I drive around town every day and never need to use the High Street. I don't see why people need to use it given the alternative routes available.
[quote][p][bold]Weazelbum[/bold] wrote: I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion![/p][/quote]I drive around town every day and never need to use the High Street. I don't see why people need to use it given the alternative routes available. The King of Colchester
  • Score: -9

10:21am Sat 15 Mar 14

Weazelbum says...

Well super duper for you! Suppose it depends on where you need to get to! I have one alternative route if the High Street is unavailable which is Cowdray Avenue. At 4.45 it is absolutely heaving with traffic. I reiterate that I haven't heard one sensible reason as to why the High Street should not be accessible to cars!
Well super duper for you! Suppose it depends on where you need to get to! I have one alternative route if the High Street is unavailable which is Cowdray Avenue. At 4.45 it is absolutely heaving with traffic. I reiterate that I haven't heard one sensible reason as to why the High Street should not be accessible to cars! Weazelbum
  • Score: 7

10:24am Sat 15 Mar 14

The King of Colchester says...

Weazelbum wrote:
Well super duper for you! Suppose it depends on where you need to get to! I have one alternative route if the High Street is unavailable which is Cowdray Avenue. At 4.45 it is absolutely heaving with traffic. I reiterate that I haven't heard one sensible reason as to why the High Street should not be accessible to cars!
So you accept there is an alternative route. Good.

Fact is from either entrances to the town centre there are two alternatives - Cowdrey Ave or Southway.

You may not be aware that there is even a road called the A12 that bypasses the town entirely. Shocking, I know.
[quote][p][bold]Weazelbum[/bold] wrote: Well super duper for you! Suppose it depends on where you need to get to! I have one alternative route if the High Street is unavailable which is Cowdray Avenue. At 4.45 it is absolutely heaving with traffic. I reiterate that I haven't heard one sensible reason as to why the High Street should not be accessible to cars![/p][/quote]So you accept there is an alternative route. Good. Fact is from either entrances to the town centre there are two alternatives - Cowdrey Ave or Southway. You may not be aware that there is even a road called the A12 that bypasses the town entirely. Shocking, I know. The King of Colchester
  • Score: -2

12:20pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Smouldering Ewok says...

On a lighter note and less predictable than the usual comments.
It's a beautiful day, spring is here, so why not take a walk and leave that troubled four wheeled fiend at home for once.
This will stop the cursing and whingeing, will be a whole lot more economical, the exercise will be great and may even force a smile.
The achievement factor alone, will be mind blowing.
On a lighter note and less predictable than the usual comments. It's a beautiful day, spring is here, so why not take a walk and leave that troubled four wheeled fiend at home for once. This will stop the cursing and whingeing, will be a whole lot more economical, the exercise will be great and may even force a smile. The achievement factor alone, will be mind blowing. Smouldering Ewok
  • Score: 2

12:38pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Weazelbum says...

Trust me, I walk everywhere usually in and around town, but it's just not feasible to walk when I have to drop and collect children from childcare en route to and from work. I live right on the edge of town so erm, the A12 is not used in my daily life! Like I said, alternative routes depend on where you are travelling to and from! So still no-one can offer a good reason why cars shouldn't be allowed (apart from the usual car bashing brigade)??!! Tbh, if there was a sensible and clear reason, I'd swallow it with good grace but as yet, not one is forthcoming.
Trust me, I walk everywhere usually in and around town, but it's just not feasible to walk when I have to drop and collect children from childcare en route to and from work. I live right on the edge of town so erm, the A12 is not used in my daily life! Like I said, alternative routes depend on where you are travelling to and from! So still no-one can offer a good reason why cars shouldn't be allowed (apart from the usual car bashing brigade)??!! Tbh, if there was a sensible and clear reason, I'd swallow it with good grace but as yet, not one is forthcoming. Weazelbum
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Sat 15 Mar 14

hughie-s says...

Boris wrote:
hughie-s wrote:
Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.
Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic.
Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules.
All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned.
Will they count that as a visit?
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.[/p][/quote]Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic. Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules. All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned.[/p][/quote]Will they count that as a visit? hughie-s
  • Score: 6

12:53pm Sat 15 Mar 14

hughie-s says...

Route88 wrote:
hughie-s wrote:
Route88 wrote:
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.
That is what I was thinking.
Same situation at the traffic lights on Maldon Road coming out of town. Although there is the slip road to turn from Maldon Road into Drury Road there is nothing to stop you turning left at the traffic lights instead, almost a 360deg turn, but I have seen it done. The crossing on Drury Road is at the time on the green phase for pedestrians so it's an accident waiting to happen.
[quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.[/p][/quote]But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.[/p][/quote]That is what I was thinking.[/p][/quote]Same situation at the traffic lights on Maldon Road coming out of town. Although there is the slip road to turn from Maldon Road into Drury Road there is nothing to stop you turning left at the traffic lights instead, almost a 360deg turn, but I have seen it done. The crossing on Drury Road is at the time on the green phase for pedestrians so it's an accident waiting to happen. hughie-s
  • Score: 1

5:18pm Sat 15 Mar 14

jut1972 says...

The King of Colchester wrote:
Weazelbum wrote:
I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion!
I drive around town every day and never need to use the High Street. I don't see why people need to use it given the alternative routes available.
Stockwell street can't be accessed legally except via the high street.
[quote][p][bold]The King of Colchester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Weazelbum[/bold] wrote: I don't understand why people want bus only access in the High Street?! Seriously, is it the pollution card? If so, where do they think the cars go? Into the ether?! Cars and other vehicles pass through the High Street perfectly well as long as the buses pull into their stops in a sensible fashion![/p][/quote]I drive around town every day and never need to use the High Street. I don't see why people need to use it given the alternative routes available.[/p][/quote]Stockwell street can't be accessed legally except via the high street. jut1972
  • Score: 1

9:13pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Boris says...

hughie-s wrote:
Boris wrote:
hughie-s wrote:
Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.
Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic.
Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules.
All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned.
Will they count that as a visit?
I'm sure they would like to, but they only count those who come through the front door, to use the toilet, or to make a delivery, or whatever. Then they multiply the number by an undisclosed factor to make it appear as if there is a healthy number of visitors.
[quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: Or as I said at the time, ban the right turn into the VAF.[/p][/quote]Wrong solution. People should do as I do, i.e. turn right into Lewis's Gardens and drive along to the VAF, where there is a conveniently wide space to turn a car without obstructing traffic. Obviously the whole procedure is ridiculous, but it is the safest way of complying with ECC's bizarre traffic rules. All private vehicle traffic ought of course to be banned from High Street during the working day, but the unholy alliance of some blinkered traders and some Tory spite towards CBC caused that ban to be abandoned.[/p][/quote]Will they count that as a visit?[/p][/quote]I'm sure they would like to, but they only count those who come through the front door, to use the toilet, or to make a delivery, or whatever. Then they multiply the number by an undisclosed factor to make it appear as if there is a healthy number of visitors. Boris
  • Score: 5

9:23pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Boris says...

Weazelbum wrote:
Trust me, I walk everywhere usually in and around town, but it's just not feasible to walk when I have to drop and collect children from childcare en route to and from work. I live right on the edge of town so erm, the A12 is not used in my daily life! Like I said, alternative routes depend on where you are travelling to and from! So still no-one can offer a good reason why cars shouldn't be allowed (apart from the usual car bashing brigade)??!! Tbh, if there was a sensible and clear reason, I'd swallow it with good grace but as yet, not one is forthcoming.
The most important reason to ban cars from 10 am to 6 pm was to enable buses to run to time. During the 3 weeks or so of the ban, buses did run to time, and passenger numbers were increasing because people were starting to rely on them. Then it was all put into reverse because of the imminent local elections. Then they concocted the ridiculous situation we have now.
Incidentally, in an earlier post you complain of buses obstructing traffic when they can't fit into the bays allocated to their stops. Yes, it happens, but the answer there is to make the bays longer. And, with High St only accessible to buses and emergency vehicles, there would be no complaints from impatient motorists about obstruction.
[quote][p][bold]Weazelbum[/bold] wrote: Trust me, I walk everywhere usually in and around town, but it's just not feasible to walk when I have to drop and collect children from childcare en route to and from work. I live right on the edge of town so erm, the A12 is not used in my daily life! Like I said, alternative routes depend on where you are travelling to and from! So still no-one can offer a good reason why cars shouldn't be allowed (apart from the usual car bashing brigade)??!! Tbh, if there was a sensible and clear reason, I'd swallow it with good grace but as yet, not one is forthcoming.[/p][/quote]The most important reason to ban cars from 10 am to 6 pm was to enable buses to run to time. During the 3 weeks or so of the ban, buses did run to time, and passenger numbers were increasing because people were starting to rely on them. Then it was all put into reverse because of the imminent local elections. Then they concocted the ridiculous situation we have now. Incidentally, in an earlier post you complain of buses obstructing traffic when they can't fit into the bays allocated to their stops. Yes, it happens, but the answer there is to make the bays longer. And, with High St only accessible to buses and emergency vehicles, there would be no complaints from impatient motorists about obstruction. Boris
  • Score: -1

10:08pm Sat 15 Mar 14

Easily Amused says...

The King of Colchester wrote:
Route88 wrote:
hughie-s wrote:
Route88 wrote:
I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.
But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.
That is what I was thinking.
No, it isn't.
it is illegal on the grounds that as they turn they are then proceeding to drive across a crossing that is on a green man, the fact that they cant see the traffic lights (due to obviously there not being any for coming from that direction) means that they should be approaching the crossing area with caution, which again since they know (as all those with common sense) that they are making a dangerous turn tends to be done rather swiftly, remembering of course that the route from the high street has the green light and would be proceeding without expecting a vehicle to approach from a red light side. Just because there isn't a sign stating you can not turn right doesn't make it ok to do so, we should all be driving with due care and consideration for other road users. If we are not then that is an offence. There are no signs stating you cant drive the wrong way up the A12!
[quote][p][bold]The King of Colchester[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hughie-s[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Route88[/bold] wrote: I saw a classic yesterday - two young girls driving black cars did not use the bus lane but turned right into Queen Street in front of the recently closed tourism office.[/p][/quote]But is it illegal? Although the road layout is designed to make it extremely difficult looking on Google there appears to no sign indicating that a right turn is banned.[/p][/quote]That is what I was thinking.[/p][/quote]No, it isn't.[/p][/quote]it is illegal on the grounds that as they turn they are then proceeding to drive across a crossing that is on a green man, the fact that they cant see the traffic lights (due to obviously there not being any for coming from that direction) means that they should be approaching the crossing area with caution, which again since they know (as all those with common sense) that they are making a dangerous turn tends to be done rather swiftly, remembering of course that the route from the high street has the green light and would be proceeding without expecting a vehicle to approach from a red light side. Just because there isn't a sign stating you can not turn right doesn't make it ok to do so, we should all be driving with due care and consideration for other road users. If we are not then that is an offence. There are no signs stating you cant drive the wrong way up the A12! Easily Amused
  • Score: 4

9:46pm Sun 16 Mar 14

A Very Private Gentleman says...

In all my years I have never come across such a diverse miscreant opinionated group of people as I have experienced on these threads
I mean if this is a small representation of the speaking intelligent and concious thought of fellow Colcestrians then GOD Help us all !!!!
There are a few of you that make some sense, however there are some regular so called thread posters on this site that Beggar Belief.

Let us get some points quite loud and clear here.
1. The offenders who got away with 17,000 ticket contraventions and the non payment or return of nearly £1 Million to them was wrong. VERY WRONG:

2. Essex County Council were WRONG to use the situation as an esoteric CASH COW:

3: It was blatantly obvious that drivers were going to Margaret Thatcher on East Hill (I mean is the world round?):

My wife called Colchester Council and the call centre staff told her to actually do that ie drive down East Hill turn around in Castle/Roman Rd:
You people that have complained and those on this thread that are moaning about the lanes being there and should not be there etc are nothing but turning a situation into an opportunity to moan and whine about all and sundry.
50 People on this site who regularly contribute on these threads, are not representative of over 250,000.
I would say that is a microscopic minority voice and most of you are outsiders anyway. Pretenders to the throne.
You wanted it? You got it now like it and lump it, my heart bleeds. LOL.
Our "friends" in "Teflon House" must be smiling all the way to the bank with a big grin?
I know they are not getting the money, but how many of them I wonder backed the town up and said no to ECC.
How many of them picked the phone up and told ECC to leave us alone?
They did not and that is why you have got your Bus Lanes and Cameras and Fines and now U Turn Issues and no more FREE PARKING in Lexden to come.
LOL.
AVPG
In all my years I have never come across such a diverse miscreant opinionated group of people as I have experienced on these threads I mean if this is a small representation of the speaking intelligent and concious thought of fellow Colcestrians then GOD Help us all !!!! There are a few of you that make some sense, however there are some regular so called thread posters on this site that Beggar Belief. Let us get some points quite loud and clear here. 1. The offenders who got away with 17,000 ticket contraventions and the non payment or return of nearly £1 Million to them was wrong. VERY WRONG: 2. Essex County Council were WRONG to use the situation as an esoteric CASH COW: 3: It was blatantly obvious that drivers were going to Margaret Thatcher on East Hill (I mean is the world round?): My wife called Colchester Council and the call centre staff told her to actually do that ie drive down East Hill turn around in Castle/Roman Rd: You people that have complained and those on this thread that are moaning about the lanes being there and should not be there etc are nothing but turning a situation into an opportunity to moan and whine about all and sundry. 50 People on this site who regularly contribute on these threads, are not representative of over 250,000. I would say that is a microscopic minority voice and most of you are outsiders anyway. Pretenders to the throne. You wanted it? You got it now like it and lump it, my heart bleeds. LOL. Our "friends" in "Teflon House" must be smiling all the way to the bank with a big grin? I know they are not getting the money, but how many of them I wonder backed the town up and said no to ECC. How many of them picked the phone up and told ECC to leave us alone? They did not and that is why you have got your Bus Lanes and Cameras and Fines and now U Turn Issues and no more FREE PARKING in Lexden to come. LOL. AVPG A Very Private Gentleman
  • Score: -4

7:20pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Red Tape 2 says...

Is it a sneaky plan to increase the VAF visitor numbers I wonder....
Is it a sneaky plan to increase the VAF visitor numbers I wonder.... Red Tape 2
  • Score: 2

9:08am Wed 19 Mar 14

Troll* says...

I drive through the bus lanes and never get a ticket
I have a set of stick on number plates: I stop out side cafe rouge bung them on off I go, then I take them off again.
I drive through the bus lanes and never get a ticket I have a set of stick on number plates: I stop out side cafe rouge bung them on off I go, then I take them off again. Troll*
  • Score: 4

6:13am Fri 21 Mar 14

James.Harrington says...

One can always drive down the east hill, turn into castle road, traverse around the one way system and out through the roman road, turning right and proceed back up east hill.
There is nothing wrong in doing that and no law will be able to cease that function or action as I can see.
One can always drive down the east hill, turn into castle road, traverse around the one way system and out through the roman road, turning right and proceed back up east hill. There is nothing wrong in doing that and no law will be able to cease that function or action as I can see. James.Harrington
  • Score: 1

7:34am Fri 21 Mar 14

HARRY438 says...

The only way to prevent that is to force all car drivers to reverse down Queer Street ,that would show 'em!
The only way to prevent that is to force all car drivers to reverse down Queer Street ,that would show 'em! HARRY438
  • Score: 0

7:37am Fri 21 Mar 14

HARRY438 says...

Without their cars,of course. Otherwise it would be pointless .
Without their cars,of course. Otherwise it would be pointless . HARRY438
  • Score: 1

8:55am Fri 21 Mar 14

romantic says...

James.Harrington wrote:
One can always drive down the east hill, turn into castle road, traverse around the one way system and out through the roman road, turning right and proceed back up east hill. There is nothing wrong in doing that and no law will be able to cease that function or action as I can see.
There are 1,000 possible routes, but most drivers pick the perfectly legal turn into the VAF entry road because it is quicker - but also potentially dangerous. The sensible option would be therefore to remove the bus lane from High St into Queen St. The non-sensible option which I believe has already been discussed is to make the top end of East Hill a bus lane as well, and then reverse the direction of Priory St. Aha, you say, that couldn't happen, it would be ridiculous. Watch this space!
[quote][p][bold]James.Harrington[/bold] wrote: One can always drive down the east hill, turn into castle road, traverse around the one way system and out through the roman road, turning right and proceed back up east hill. There is nothing wrong in doing that and no law will be able to cease that function or action as I can see.[/p][/quote]There are 1,000 possible routes, but most drivers pick the perfectly legal turn into the VAF entry road because it is quicker - but also potentially dangerous. The sensible option would be therefore to remove the bus lane from High St into Queen St. The non-sensible option which I believe has already been discussed is to make the top end of East Hill a bus lane as well, and then reverse the direction of Priory St. Aha, you say, that couldn't happen, it would be ridiculous. Watch this space! romantic
  • Score: 1

11:30am Fri 21 Mar 14

shallowJoker says...

I decided in protest to start my car up at night and let it run all night in my drive way, ok it's a waste of petrol and money but I feel better for it.
I decided in protest to start my car up at night and let it run all night in my drive way, ok it's a waste of petrol and money but I feel better for it. shallowJoker
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree