THREE students who admitted attacking a Colchester United footballer have been told to carry out unpaid work.

David Ibiyode, Munyaradzi Kamutero and Fairson Nyamunokora kicked and hit U’s defender Magnus Okuonghae in Colchester’s High Street while he lay on the ground, a court heard.

CCTV captured the attack which happened after the footballer left the town’s Qube bar in Crouch Street where he had been with friends and a brawl broke out.

The incident occurred around 3.30am on August 24 last year - hours after Okuonghae helped the U’s to a 1-1 draw against Carlisle United.

Sharon Hall, prosecuting, told Colchester Magistrates’ Court the footage showed the footballer being chased down High Street by Ibiyode and Nyamunokora, before falling over.

“They catch up with him and the victim is seen to get back on his feet.

“Nyamunokora uses a knee to strike the victim in the ribs, causing him to fall back down.

“Ibiyode is using a shoe to hit him two to three times. They are joined by Kamutero.

“All three are striking the victim at the same time while he is trying to get back on his feet.”

The incident lasted around 90 seconds with Okunghaue seen to walk away at the end.

Police arrived and arrested the three defendants.

However, the court heard Okuonghae, 27, sustained no injuries and would not co-operate with the police.

James O’Toole, mitigating, said all three defendants asked him to apologise to the court on their behalf.

“It is accepted this was an unacceptable incident. They offer no excuses for what transpired that night. This was an incident that precipitated what was captured on CCTV and within that incident, these men were victims.”

Mr O’Toole said Ibiyode, of North View Avenue, Romford, was in the second year of a business management degree.

Kamutero, of Byron Gardens, Tilbury, was due to graduate this year in Sports Science.

Nyamunokora, of Coalport Hall, Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent, is studying forensic psychology.


All three, aged 20, had each admitted using threatening words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of provoke unlawful violence, at a previous court hearing.

They were each sentenced to a year-long community order including 100 hours unpaid work and must pay £85 costs and £60 victim surcharge.