A DOG was rescued following a blaze at a home in Colchester.

Three fire crews from Colchester and Tiptree were called to a home in Beechwood Close at about 12.25pm on Saturday.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters used breathing apparatus and one hose reel to tackle the fire.

“Crews arriving at the scene reported that the whole of the ground floor of the two bedroomed terraced property was heavily smoke logged,” he said.

“The occupants of the house had escaped before firefighters arrived but crews rescued a pet dog from the property.

“There are no reported casualties.”