Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Mistley Quay fence row to rumble on
6:00am Thursday 16th January 2014 in News
PLANS to replace a controversial fence at Mistley Quay could still go ahead after an appeal was launched.
Planning officers at Tendring Council last year refused proposals to replace the 6ft wire mesh fence with red, wrought iron railings.
But now owners, TW Logistics, have launched the appeal to overturn the officers’ decision.
The firm paid to source the hand-forged metal from an architectural specialist.
But critics said it was still too tall and would be like “living in a prison”.
The plans were turned down after officers deemed the proposed fence was “inappropriate” and would harm the look and character of the conservation area.
The decision also said the proposed railings would have a negative effect on nearby listed buildings.
Tendring Council planning boss Carlo Guglielmi said: “TW Logistics took a decision against everybody’s advice and went ahead and purchased these railings.
“It had advice given to it two or three years ago over what railings would be appropriate in the conservation area.
“It completely disregarded the advice and purchased the railings.”
Comments are closed on this article.