Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Pensioner banned for crashing into houses says he hopes to drive again
12:00pm Monday 16th December 2013 in News
A PENSIONER who was banned from driving after smashing into three houses is hoping to get back behind the wheel.
Kenneth Leach, 83, was on his way to hospital when his silver Kia Rio mounted the kerb and crashed into houses in Trinity Road, Halstead, on June 24.
He was given a 12-month driving ban after admitting careless driving and driving unsupervised while only having a provisional licence.
The retired electrician will now have to sit a driving test, but said he wanted to drive again.
After his court appearance, he said: “The crash hasn’t knocked my confidence. It was purely an accident.
I’m a confident driver.
“I’m better than some of the youngsters on the road today. I think my driving is very good.
“I would like to be driving again, despite what happened.”
Mr Leach, of Upper Trinity Road, Halstead, said relying on public transport was a struggle.
He added: “I used to love driving and now I can’t get out. I can’t visit anyone unless I get buses or trains.
“I can’t get into town because I have a disability with my leg. I have to order taxis and that’s costing me money.”
Mr Leach faced Colchester Magistrates’ Court last week after he drove into the porch and demolished the front wall of Les Littler’s house, as well as damaging the walls of two other houses.
He was told he must take an extensive test if he wanted to get behind the wheel again.
He said: “I thought the court was fair. I expected more than that in terms of the £110 fine.”
Comments are closed on this article.