Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Fundraising plea to save New Year's fireworks show
4:10pm Monday 9th December 2013 in News
A NEW Year fireworks extravaganza needs people to dig deep to help secure its future.
The massive midnight display on Harwich Quay draws thousands of fireworks fans from miles around.
Organisers have vowed the show will go on as normal this year but are urging people to help out with cash.
Committee member Betty Holbrook said last year's crowd-puller attracted an amazing 6,000 people.
"It costs quite a lot of money to put on," she said.
"If we are to continue these spectacular displays we need donations."
Trinity House came to the rescue in recent years by allowing the fireworks to set off from Trinity Pier.
The show has continued to grow since it was first started by the town's lifeboat crews.
Mrs Holbrook said: "People phone up on New Year's Eve from as far away as Colchester and Chelmsford to ask if it is on.
"It is 20 minutes of the best fireworks going - it's a spectacular display.
"People say it is better than London so they don't go there any more - they come here.
"But we need donations if they want it to continue for the whole community to enjoy.
"Lots of businesses, pubs and individuals all over Harwich and Dovercourt help with money.
"Without all of those people it just wouldn't happen."
Bucket collections are held on the night.
Supporters can also send cheques made out to Harwich Quay Fireworks to Mrs Holbrook.
"Everyone gets a receipt and a thank you letter, they donate £2 or £500," she said.
For details of how to support the display call Mr Holbrook on 01255 503349 or 07909 513720.
Comments are closed on this article.