Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Children's centres face axe
A CHILDREN’S centre in Highwoods is facing the axe in a bid to save cash.
The centre, based at The Ark, Gavin Way, is one of 11 centres across the county earmarked for closure in a bid to save Essex County Council £2.5 million by 2016.
Services at each threatened centre will be merged with a neighbouring one, in some instances several miles away, but services may continue at the closed centres on an ad hoc basis.
A consultation on the plans begins today and people have until Thursday December 5 to have their say. Any changes will come into force from April next year.
- To give your views fill out an online survey or pick up a form from your local centre and post it to Children’s Centre Consultation, Early Years and Childcare, Essex County Council, PO Box 47, Chelmsford, CM2 6NW.
Read the full story in tomorrow's Daily Gazette.
North Essex children’s centre proposals:
- Highwoods, Gavin Way - to close and merge with Beehive, Cowper Crescent, Mile End.
- Manningtree, New Road, Mistley - to close and merge with Windmill, Mayes Lane, Ramsey.
- ABC Together, Chingford Avenue, Clacton - to close and merge with Rainbow, Old Pier Street, Walton.
- Little Lanes, John Ray Gardens, Black Notley - to close and merge with Seesaw, Lancaster Way, Braintree.
- Holland Valley, Oxford Road, Clacton - will merge with the St James’ centre which runs at the same site.
Comments are closed on this article.