Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
England under-21 squad 'breaks planning rules' by training on U's Tiptree ground
5:00pm Tuesday 15th October 2013 in News
The underage national squad used the ground yesterday to prepare for a game against Lithuania in Ipswich last night.
But residents say it should not have been allowed because conditions state only Colchester United or a team playing against the club’s youth sides can use the pitch.
There has been tension between the club and nearby residents, who say the noise generated on the training pitch is unacceptable.
Ashley Byrne, a spokesman for the residents’ group, said: “This is just rubbing salt in the wound.
“The club has agreed to this condition and they should know it because they were forced to apologise when this happened before.”
In 2011, the Wales under-21 side trained at Florence Park and the club issued an apology to Colchester Council and to residents for breaking planning regulations.
But a spokesman for Colchester United said regardless of whether there had been a technical breach of conditions, having the England under-21 side using the ground shows how well the facility is thought of.
He added: “It was a really good opportunity for us to welcome England to the area.
“The fact that they wanted to use it shows the regard our facilities are held in the football world.”
Tim Young, borough councillor responsible for planning, added: “It is a wonderful endorsement of what Robbie Cowling has put into the facility and the council having the vision to agree it.
“I just hope some of the residents who are still unhappy about it realise they have a world class facility on their doorstep and it’s time to draw a line in the sand.”
Comments are closed on this article.