Following the death of Braintree teenager Bradley Cockel, who is believed to have tried an LSD type drug, a drugs charity has warned how dangerous hallucinogens such as 2C-E are.

Police had initially thought Bradley had taken 2C-E but are awaiting further test results.

Joni Thompson, treatment manager for drugs service, Open Road, which has a branch in Braintree, said: “We don’t know, categorically, that Bradley Cockel died after taking 2C-E. “But it is very powerful and potentially very dangerous.”

Class A hallucinogens, known as 2C-E and 2C-I, have similar effects to LSD, but are even more potent.

The white crystal substance, which can be snorted or swallowed, enhances the senses and exaggerates colours and distorts sounds.