Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Colchester teenagers overdose on "legal highs"
8:41am Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
A MOTHER is pleading with teenagers to stop taking legal highs after her daughter’s overdose.
Police and paramedics were called to Lewis Gardens, next to Firstsite, at 4pm on Sunday, after the 14-year-old Stanway School pupil took the “herbal mixture” bought at Sheppards in Eld Lane, Colchester.
The product she took is legal to sell to those aged 18 or over but is considered dangerous by medical experts and police officers.
Insp Jim White, from Colchester police station, said: “I have got grave concerns about legal highs.
“I have been in contact with the council and there has been a lot of activity with trading standards also.”
Just one accident and emergency shift at Colchester General Hospital reported treating four teenagers in the last fortnight alone.
And the real number across all shifts is feared to be much higher.
The latest girl to be hospitalised is recovering.
See the full story in a special report in today's Gazette.