Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting GAZETTE NEWS to 80360, or email
Town centre road closed because of house fire
5:17pm Thursday 17th January 2013 in News
PART of a town centre road was closed because of a house fire.
Maldon Road was closed between Southway and Beaconsfield Avenue, in Colchester, between 4.40pm and 5.10pm on Thursday.
Fire crews were called to the blaze after smoke was spotted coming from a ground floor flat in Maldon Road.
Two firefighters wearing breathing equipment used one hose reel to put out the fire by 5.10pm.
Asst Divisional Officer Lee Palfreyman said the fire was confined to one bedroom, with smoke damage affecting the bed area.
He added: "The smoke detectors worked and it was a link system which meant residents in upstairs floors heard the alarm and were also able to get out safely."
Comments are closed on this article.