David Lloyd confirms interest in building north Colchester health club

A HIGH end health club has confirmed its interest in building a club on part of 40 acres of land in north Colchester.

David Lloyd, which has 78 clubs in the UK, wants to build the club near the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

The Gazette revealed last week how when Colchester Council invited interest from companies in its vision statement for north Colchester, David Lloyd was among those to respond.

But Pauline Hazel, borough councillor for Shrub End, which includes council-run tennis courts in Eudo Road, fears the new centre could spell the end for the courts, which could be sold off.

“These plans in Colchester does not sound encouraging for Eudo Road,” Mrs Hazel said.

“It is a great site there and it provides a very good service.

“The problem with something like a David Lloyd centre of excellence is that it neglects the grass roots players - the people who go just for a game of tennis and aren’t necessarily planning to ever play in an excellence centre are going to suffer.”

A spokesman for David Lloyd said: “We can confirm that we have been approached by the council and we are interested in building a new racquets club in Colchester.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:36pm Tue 11 Dec 12

angryman!!! says...

The sooner this is built the better. Really good gyms something that colchesters been missing, it will also encourage all the current gyms to work harder as all of them could do with improving.
I don't think it will do the council tennis courts any problems as they are very different and vary a hell of a lot in terms of cost and are pretty far apart.
It will also be good as it will encourage others to build there and in turn help out the u's
The sooner this is built the better. Really good gyms something that colchesters been missing, it will also encourage all the current gyms to work harder as all of them could do with improving. I don't think it will do the council tennis courts any problems as they are very different and vary a hell of a lot in terms of cost and are pretty far apart. It will also be good as it will encourage others to build there and in turn help out the u's angryman!!!

4:02pm Tue 11 Dec 12

greenbroker says...

I would use it if the price was right, but it will probably be 'exclusive'.
I would use it if the price was right, but it will probably be 'exclusive'. greenbroker

4:56pm Tue 11 Dec 12

Im_Like_HELLO says...

I disagree. There are far too many exclusive and expensive members-only gym clubs and not enough pay-as-you go centres like community swimming pools which benefit everyone.
I disagree. There are far too many exclusive and expensive members-only gym clubs and not enough pay-as-you go centres like community swimming pools which benefit everyone. Im_Like_HELLO

8:44pm Tue 11 Dec 12

angryman!!! says...

Well I suppose it depends what you think is exclusive and expensive, the only gyms I can think of are top notch, fitness first, banatynes, la fitness. These are far from exclusive, and If they had genuine competition they would be cheaper.
Pay as you gyms don't make sense, there's no point going to gym less than 3 x a week so unless it was under 2.50 to get in it wouldn't be cheaper than most monthly contracts
Well I suppose it depends what you think is exclusive and expensive, the only gyms I can think of are top notch, fitness first, banatynes, la fitness. These are far from exclusive, and If they had genuine competition they would be cheaper. Pay as you gyms don't make sense, there's no point going to gym less than 3 x a week so unless it was under 2.50 to get in it wouldn't be cheaper than most monthly contracts angryman!!!

10:31am Wed 12 Dec 12

roger bacon says...

Why do Councillor Pauline Hazel not ask the tennis club members of Eudo road before making silly statements.A Daid LLoyd Centre will not make the slightest difference to local clubs as they are completely different concepts. A member of a local tennis club is roughly £100 per year and a David LLoyd centre is in the region of £600/700 per year membership plus playing for court time as well, which will take is close to £1000 a year. How many tennis players will pay 10 times the amount they are paying now.?. Ipswich has a DL and it's local clubs are thriving.
Why do Councillor Pauline Hazel not ask the tennis club members of Eudo road before making silly statements.A Daid LLoyd Centre will not make the slightest difference to local clubs as they are completely different concepts. A member of a local tennis club is roughly £100 per year and a David LLoyd centre is in the region of £600/700 per year membership plus playing for court time as well, which will take is close to £1000 a year. How many tennis players will pay 10 times the amount they are paying now.?. Ipswich has a DL and it's local clubs are thriving. roger bacon

1:22pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Dillinga says...

angryman!!! wrote:
Well I suppose it depends what you think is exclusive and expensive, the only gyms I can think of are top notch, fitness first, banatynes, la fitness. These are far from exclusive, and If they had genuine competition they would be cheaper.
Pay as you gyms don't make sense, there's no point going to gym less than 3 x a week so unless it was under 2.50 to get in it wouldn't be cheaper than most monthly contracts
Or The Gym on Queens St which is £15.99 a month is always clean, doesn't get over crowded, gives you 24 hour access. I can't see why anyone would want to pay £40-£50 a month to go to the squalid dump that is fitness first or the over crowded shambles that is Bannatynes.
[quote][p][bold]angryman!!![/bold] wrote: Well I suppose it depends what you think is exclusive and expensive, the only gyms I can think of are top notch, fitness first, banatynes, la fitness. These are far from exclusive, and If they had genuine competition they would be cheaper. Pay as you gyms don't make sense, there's no point going to gym less than 3 x a week so unless it was under 2.50 to get in it wouldn't be cheaper than most monthly contracts[/p][/quote]Or The Gym on Queens St which is £15.99 a month is always clean, doesn't get over crowded, gives you 24 hour access. I can't see why anyone would want to pay £40-£50 a month to go to the squalid dump that is fitness first or the over crowded shambles that is Bannatynes. Dillinga

1:30pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Bing Bong says...

Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak.
Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak. Bing Bong

2:08pm Wed 12 Dec 12

MRSFATHEAD says...

Bing Bong wrote:
Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak.
What's a Stream Room?
[quote][p][bold]Bing Bong[/bold] wrote: Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak.[/p][/quote]What's a Stream Room? MRSFATHEAD

2:36pm Wed 12 Dec 12

angryman!!! says...

I don't know but I'd pay for one!
I don't know but I'd pay for one! angryman!!!

3:29pm Wed 12 Dec 12

DShep says...

How much more can the north of Colchester take we need road links to the A12 not sports clubs or bus lanes or new housing developments.
How much more can the north of Colchester take we need road links to the A12 not sports clubs or bus lanes or new housing developments. DShep

3:39pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Dillinga says...

Bing Bong wrote:
Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak.
Sorry but having worked in several of the gyms in Colchester over the past 8 years more recently Bannatynes I think I may actually know what I am taking about although if your 5 sessions a week make you an expert on both customer flow from opening to closing and customer to equipment ratios please preach to me some more but please don't tell me that I know nothing.

It's only a gym and they called it The Gym what a shock that is!

In my many years experience I have also found that those who bang on about their gym having saunas, jacuzzis and spas are the exact type of people who love the idea of telling people they go to a gym but do little or no real work when they are actually there. To that end the Gym is perfect as it attract people who are motivated and want to train not the usual posers and shirkers who treat gym membership/attendanc
e as some kind of status symbol.
[quote][p][bold]Bing Bong[/bold] wrote: Well seeing as I go to Bannatynes 5 days a week and it is never overcrowded and not a shambles I think you should do your research then makes comments. Because at the moment you are making comments about things you know NOTHING about, if you have no facts then please be silent. Plus note The GYM offers a GYM, No Pool, No Spa, No Stream Room etc etc. Nothing wrong with it apart from location. Just be correct before you speak.[/p][/quote]Sorry but having worked in several of the gyms in Colchester over the past 8 years more recently Bannatynes I think I may actually know what I am taking about although if your 5 sessions a week make you an expert on both customer flow from opening to closing and customer to equipment ratios please preach to me some more but please don't tell me that I know nothing. It's only a gym and they called it The Gym what a shock that is! In my many years experience I have also found that those who bang on about their gym having saunas, jacuzzis and spas are the exact type of people who love the idea of telling people they go to a gym but do little or no real work when they are actually there. To that end the Gym is perfect as it attract people who are motivated and want to train not the usual posers and shirkers who treat gym membership/attendanc e as some kind of status symbol. Dillinga

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree