Council covers up cash probe

Council covers up cash probe

Council covers up cash probe

First published in News

DETAILS of an investigation into the disappearance of tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ money from Colchester’s Leisure World are being kept hidden from the public.

Last November The Gazette revealed Essex Police had been called in to investigate an alleged theft at the centre, which had taken place over a period of 18 months.

A female member of staff, aged 32, was dismissed by Colchester Council, which runs the venue..

But after a police investigation, which centred on the venue’s events service which rents out Charter Hall, she was released without charge.

The woman appealed against her dismissal but was unsuccessful.

Council bosses subsequently conducted a widereaching internal investigation, the results of which were put before councillors on Tuesday.

However, they have refused to make any details public, despite attempts by this newspaper to obtain a redacted copy which would have protected the identity of the woman concerned.

The Gazette has secured the backing of senior Colchester politicians.

SEE FRIDAY'S GAZETTE FOR THE FULL STORY

 

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:21am Fri 29 Aug 14

AngryManNewTown says...

It must be in the public interest to let us all know what has happened here and what controls they have put in place to ensure that this is not repeated!!
It must be in the public interest to let us all know what has happened here and what controls they have put in place to ensure that this is not repeated!! AngryManNewTown
  • Score: 32

9:33am Fri 29 Aug 14

Shrubendlad says...

I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me.
BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)?
What has this lady to say on the subject?
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject? Shrubendlad
  • Score: 11

9:47am Fri 29 Aug 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected!
If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected! Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: 25

9:47am Fri 29 Aug 14

Say It As It Is OK? says...

If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected!
If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected! Say It As It Is OK?
  • Score: 2

10:16am Fri 29 Aug 14

AngryManNewTown says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?
You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!? AngryManNewTown
  • Score: 25

10:17am Fri 29 Aug 14

AngryManNewTown says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?
You are correct she is Portfolio holder for Communities and Leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing about it all!!
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]You are correct she is Portfolio holder for Communities and Leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing about it all!! AngryManNewTown
  • Score: 10

10:42am Fri 29 Aug 14

Shrubendlad says...

AngryManNewTown wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?
You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?
LIB DEM COUNCILLOR ANNIE FELTHAM!!!!
I think shes heard it.
[quote][p][bold]AngryManNewTown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?[/p][/quote]LIB DEM COUNCILLOR ANNIE FELTHAM!!!! I think shes heard it. Shrubendlad
  • Score: 13

11:18am Fri 29 Aug 14

totallyfootball says...

Seems to be a lot goes on down Leisure World that the police turn a blind eye to, who is pulling the strings?
Seems to be a lot goes on down Leisure World that the police turn a blind eye to, who is pulling the strings? totallyfootball
  • Score: 40

11:51am Fri 29 Aug 14

Checkout says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me.
BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)?
What has this lady to say on the subject?
Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case.
This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services.
So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves.
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case. This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services. So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves. Checkout
  • Score: 42

1:47pm Fri 29 Aug 14

sam vines says...

Are we supposed to be shocked, surprised or sadden that the council has treated our hard earned money with no remorse yet again.
Are we supposed to be shocked, surprised or sadden that the council has treated our hard earned money with no remorse yet again. sam vines
  • Score: 30

2:01pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Shrubendlad says...

Checkout wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me.
BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)?
What has this lady to say on the subject?
Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case.
This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services.
So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves.
You see Checkout when you decide to become a Politician you cant hide in the trench. When you then become a member of the "professional" council-the inner circle-and get paid a decent salary-you cant pass the blame onto council staff all of the time.
Councillors are paid. Cabinet Members are paid 3X more.
Now you tell me why we need Councillors and Council Staff to do the same job. Why do we need 60 councillors for a population of 180000,when other councils manager with 51 on a 200,000 figure.?Why is the party opposing a reduction-yes the LIB DEMS?
[quote][p][bold]Checkout[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case. This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services. So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves.[/p][/quote]You see Checkout when you decide to become a Politician you cant hide in the trench. When you then become a member of the "professional" council-the inner circle-and get paid a decent salary-you cant pass the blame onto council staff all of the time. Councillors are paid. Cabinet Members are paid 3X more. Now you tell me why we need Councillors and Council Staff to do the same job. Why do we need 60 councillors for a population of 180000,when other councils manager with 51 on a 200,000 figure.?Why is the party opposing a reduction-yes the LIB DEMS? Shrubendlad
  • Score: 21

3:51pm Fri 29 Aug 14

jut1972 says...

Shrubendlad wrote:
Checkout wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me.
BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)?
What has this lady to say on the subject?
Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case.
This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services.
So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves.
You see Checkout when you decide to become a Politician you cant hide in the trench. When you then become a member of the "professional" council-the inner circle-and get paid a decent salary-you cant pass the blame onto council staff all of the time.
Councillors are paid. Cabinet Members are paid 3X more.
Now you tell me why we need Councillors and Council Staff to do the same job. Why do we need 60 councillors for a population of 180000,when other councils manager with 51 on a 200,000 figure.?Why is the party opposing a reduction-yes the LIB DEMS?
The reduction to 51 is going through.
Maybe it's confidential because it identifies the culprit?
[quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Checkout[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]Aiming criticisms at your favorite political party is surely a little misplaced in this case. This is not a matter of political failure it is a consequence of poor professional management. We employ local government officers to provide and manage services. So, why exactly are the highly paid senior professional officers employed by the council proving so inept at managing our local services? This is not an isolated case and there is growing evidence that they are wanting. The staff who previously made services work have largely been made redundant. The senior staff, who so assiduously protected their positions whilst getting rid of the minions, seem completely incapable of stacking shelves.[/p][/quote]You see Checkout when you decide to become a Politician you cant hide in the trench. When you then become a member of the "professional" council-the inner circle-and get paid a decent salary-you cant pass the blame onto council staff all of the time. Councillors are paid. Cabinet Members are paid 3X more. Now you tell me why we need Councillors and Council Staff to do the same job. Why do we need 60 councillors for a population of 180000,when other councils manager with 51 on a 200,000 figure.?Why is the party opposing a reduction-yes the LIB DEMS?[/p][/quote]The reduction to 51 is going through. Maybe it's confidential because it identifies the culprit? jut1972
  • Score: -7

6:28pm Fri 29 Aug 14

TheBrotherhoodOfTheBell says...

Just exactly what did everyone expect ?
This is Colchester council for crying out loud, they don't want you to know and why.
Why doesn't Channon and the Gazette team start asking about the problems there back in the heady days of S&P Leisure ?
Why don't you start asking about the issues at Street Services back in 2007 ?
They won't divulge the paperwork until forced too, even though if they eventually have to give up the files, most of the paperwork will be doctored.
The amount of times i heard of council officials that were getting their cards or asked to leave and then caught by Security shredding documents before being asked to frequent their offices was farcical.
£30 odd Grand donned legs and went for a walk at this place ?
Investigated by Police ! By the way there has still been no clear transparent reporting on the outcome of the E80,000 Euros that went missing From Colchester Police Station ?
Just exactly what did everyone expect ? This is Colchester council for crying out loud, they don't want you to know and why. Why doesn't Channon and the Gazette team start asking about the problems there back in the heady days of S&P Leisure ? Why don't you start asking about the issues at Street Services back in 2007 ? They won't divulge the paperwork until forced too, even though if they eventually have to give up the files, most of the paperwork will be doctored. The amount of times i heard of council officials that were getting their cards or asked to leave and then caught by Security shredding documents before being asked to frequent their offices was farcical. £30 odd Grand donned legs and went for a walk at this place ? Investigated by Police ! By the way there has still been no clear transparent reporting on the outcome of the E80,000 Euros that went missing From Colchester Police Station ? TheBrotherhoodOfTheBell
  • Score: 10

7:30pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Checkout says...

Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services.
There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why.
I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them.
Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite.
Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services. There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why. I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them. Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite. Checkout
  • Score: 8

10:14pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Boris says...

"An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts.
.
The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.
"An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts. . The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control. Boris
  • Score: 7

11:28pm Fri 29 Aug 14

William George says...

Boris wrote:
"An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts.
.
The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.
That is the most probable reasons what has been happening and what Boris has said in his comment explains it all of this cover-up and couldn't have been made more clearer for anyone to believe it all. Can we feel confident in senior officers at CBC ?
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: "An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts. . The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.[/p][/quote]That is the most probable reasons what has been happening and what Boris has said in his comment explains it all of this cover-up and couldn't have been made more clearer for anyone to believe it all. Can we feel confident in senior officers at CBC ? William George
  • Score: 7

11:41pm Fri 29 Aug 14

Boris says...

William George wrote:
Boris wrote:
"An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts.
.
The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.
That is the most probable reasons what has been happening and what Boris has said in his comment explains it all of this cover-up and couldn't have been made more clearer for anyone to believe it all. Can we feel confident in senior officers at CBC ?
William, thanks for your support. As for your question, from what I have seen, CBC's senior officers do not inspire any confidence at all.
[quote][p][bold]William George[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: "An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts. . The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.[/p][/quote]That is the most probable reasons what has been happening and what Boris has said in his comment explains it all of this cover-up and couldn't have been made more clearer for anyone to believe it all. Can we feel confident in senior officers at CBC ?[/p][/quote]William, thanks for your support. As for your question, from what I have seen, CBC's senior officers do not inspire any confidence at all. Boris
  • Score: 8

5:12am Sat 30 Aug 14

Navajo wife says...

Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.
Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion. Navajo wife
  • Score: 4

6:57am Sat 30 Aug 14

Shrubendlad says...

Boris wrote:
"An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts.
.
The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.
Once again Boris a very good note.
Over 75% of all Council/Local Government spending is on Salaries/Pensions.25
% of all Council Tax goes on Council Pensions.
When the Electorate say they are not interested in who controls the Local Council or who control the Council Officers-they are saying we don't care what happens to our money.
I have a few years left until my state pension arrives and I believe this town could be better run and a new improved generation of Councillors and Councillor Officials needs to come forward.
[quote][p][bold]Boris[/bold] wrote: "An alleged theft" over 18 months must have been a series of thefts. . The staff member who was dismissed should instead have been suspended on full pay while the case was properly investigated. If she had attempted to resign, the resignation should have been rejected. In a few days, CBC's own internal audit staff could have assembled all the evidence needed for a prosecution. If the police then said the evidence did not justify a prosecution, that means that internal controls at CBC are inadequate. I suspect this is the real reason for the cover-up - that, as Checkout rightly says, the senior officers at CBC don't want to admit they are unable to maintain proper control.[/p][/quote]Once again Boris a very good note. Over 75% of all Council/Local Government spending is on Salaries/Pensions.25 % of all Council Tax goes on Council Pensions. When the Electorate say they are not interested in who controls the Local Council or who control the Council Officers-they are saying we don't care what happens to our money. I have a few years left until my state pension arrives and I believe this town could be better run and a new improved generation of Councillors and Councillor Officials needs to come forward. Shrubendlad
  • Score: 4

7:23am Sat 30 Aug 14

Shrubendlad says...

Checkout wrote:
Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services.
There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why.
I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them.
Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite.
We have a C19th Century Civil Service system in this country where Councillors hide behind Council Officials and vice versa. If-like me-you ever
try to question a planning official in a planning meeting, you will discover exactly what I mean. From experience -the only way to influence the way the council operates is to start with the Councillors. They appoint the Chief Executive Officer on a huge salary and control flows down.
[quote][p][bold]Checkout[/bold] wrote: Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services. There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why. I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them. Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite.[/p][/quote]We have a C19th Century Civil Service system in this country where Councillors hide behind Council Officials and vice versa. If-like me-you ever try to question a planning official in a planning meeting, you will discover exactly what I mean. From experience -the only way to influence the way the council operates is to start with the Councillors. They appoint the Chief Executive Officer on a huge salary and control flows down. Shrubendlad
  • Score: 1

7:33am Sat 30 Aug 14

jim_bo says...

Charter hall has been mismanaged and poorly run since it's inception.

Where else in the country can you hire a venue that makes a loss on your hire!

The fact that the alleged thefts were turned away by police means that there weren't any systems in place, which is no surprise.

It's about CBC stopped covering their backsides and hold their hands up. Everyone makes mistakes and it's better to be honest about it. But incidences like this just add fuel to the flames that CBC is incompetent.
Charter hall has been mismanaged and poorly run since it's inception. Where else in the country can you hire a venue that makes a loss on your hire! The fact that the alleged thefts were turned away by police means that there weren't any systems in place, which is no surprise. It's about CBC stopped covering their backsides and hold their hands up. Everyone makes mistakes and it's better to be honest about it. But incidences like this just add fuel to the flames that CBC is incompetent. jim_bo
  • Score: 6

10:54am Sat 30 Aug 14

whitepaper says...

Checkout wrote:
Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services.
There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why.
I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them.
Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite.
The politicians may not 'run nothing' as you say and they may 'produce ideas' but when they say jump the council officers generally say 'how high'. A certain portfolio holder calls all the shots in his particular area and I've seen, first hand, how high the council officers jump when he barks.
[quote][p][bold]Checkout[/bold] wrote: Shrubend lad, The senior professional officers are paid substantially more than the politicians. Politicians make policy and senior professional management manage the services. There have been a number of serious failures in the delivery of services and I would like to know why. I'm not even slightly interested in which politician is supposed to run what. We should all know they run nothing, their job is to produce ideas not to implement them. Your political point scoring is wasted on me and your insights are somewhat trite.[/p][/quote]The politicians may not 'run nothing' as you say and they may 'produce ideas' but when they say jump the council officers generally say 'how high'. A certain portfolio holder calls all the shots in his particular area and I've seen, first hand, how high the council officers jump when he barks. whitepaper
  • Score: -3

7:58pm Sat 30 Aug 14

stevedawson says...

Most probably all in it together in a you scrarch my back and l'll watch yours arrangements.annoyin
g, upsetting, frustrating when trying to get the truth, thats local politics in action in our democracy.keep taking the tablets and open the cage.
Most probably all in it together in a you scrarch my back and l'll watch yours arrangements.annoyin g, upsetting, frustrating when trying to get the truth, thats local politics in action in our democracy.keep taking the tablets and open the cage. stevedawson
  • Score: 1

7:34pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Angry of Lexden says...

Navajo wife wrote:
Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.
Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens!
[quote][p][bold]Navajo wife[/bold] wrote: Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.[/p][/quote]Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens! Angry of Lexden
  • Score: 4

6:36am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

Say It As It Is OK? wrote:
If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected!
Absolutely! A nine year project into breaches of Legal Constitutional Governance by Executive Management and further breaches of The Localism Act is now being investigated by The Minister for Communities and Local Government. For updates visit http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
[quote][p][bold]Say It As It Is OK?[/bold] wrote: If the facts aren't presented to the public, so we know what happened to our money, then most people would consider this just to be another council cover up where someone, in authority, within the council is being protected![/p][/quote]Absolutely! A nine year project into breaches of Legal Constitutional Governance by Executive Management and further breaches of The Localism Act is now being investigated by The Minister for Communities and Local Government. For updates visit http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

6:39am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

Angry of Lexden wrote:
Navajo wife wrote:
Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.
Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens!
Thank you Angry of Lexden. http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Navajo wife[/bold] wrote: Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.[/p][/quote]Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens![/p][/quote]Thank you Angry of Lexden. http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

6:43am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

As a Citizen of The Colchester Constituency and a Tenant of The Colchester Borough Council, the last nine years have been invested in a project to bring effective and Constitutional Governance to The CBC. The Minister for Communities and Local Government is currently looking to place the CBC in "special measures" not unlike the Colchester General Hospital. Your assistance is required to bring democratic governance and leadership to The Colchester Constituency. The call has gone out!! Go to: http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
As a Citizen of The Colchester Constituency and a Tenant of The Colchester Borough Council, the last nine years have been invested in a project to bring effective and Constitutional Governance to The CBC. The Minister for Communities and Local Government is currently looking to place the CBC in "special measures" not unlike the Colchester General Hospital. Your assistance is required to bring democratic governance and leadership to The Colchester Constituency. The call has gone out!! Go to: http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

6:46am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

Angry of Lexden wrote:
Navajo wife wrote:
Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.
Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens!
Absolutely! A nine year project into breaches of Legal Constitutional Governance by Executive Management and further breaches of The Localism Act is now being investigated by The Minister for Communities and Local Government.
For updates visit http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
[quote][p][bold]Angry of Lexden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Navajo wife[/bold] wrote: Fantastic comments. We just had a very high up politician in lots of trouble including arms dealing. Oh boy, was he ousted fast..Does not the council have to undergo audits?.I've forgotten how politics work over there but it seens to me, that there should be periodic audits. After all, with the taxpayers money at stake, they, the taxpayers, should know at all times where their money is and what it is being spent on.Just my opinion.[/p][/quote]Navajo Wife. Yes you are right there is an annual audit. Some years ago I was unhappy about CBC wasting home upgrade grant money. I asked for help from the then local mp. He replied that he had been assured by the Cbc chief executive that all was ok. I waited till the audit notice in the Standard and made a formal challenge. The audit company were supportive and would not sign off the audit. After some months the CEO took sick leave and then took early retirement as I recall. Coincidence? I will do it again over this matter if there us not total disclosure. And again, I will start with the local mp - same guy as it happens![/p][/quote]Absolutely! A nine year project into breaches of Legal Constitutional Governance by Executive Management and further breaches of The Localism Act is now being investigated by The Minister for Communities and Local Government. For updates visit http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

6:55am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

AngryManNewTown wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?
You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?
Remember the December 2013 story by Ryan Jennings about several counts of mismanagement within the Waste Department? Who was the Head of Service and who was the Portfolio Holder at the time? Who is head of service for Leisure now? From the last few years observing... it seems to me that 52 Elected Representatives have little power as "Members of The Colchester Council". Portfolio holders make the decisions. And if the majority decide to keep evidence out of the public domain then Annie Feltham as Member and Portfolio Holder will have little influence within the hierarchy. Its time for The People of Colchester to support our ward representatives and be the change that we wish to see in Colchester. Go to:
http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
[quote][p][bold]AngryManNewTown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?[/p][/quote]Remember the December 2013 story by Ryan Jennings about several counts of mismanagement within the Waste Department? Who was the Head of Service and who was the Portfolio Holder at the time? Who is head of service for Leisure now? From the last few years observing... it seems to me that 52 Elected Representatives have little power as "Members of The Colchester Council". Portfolio holders make the decisions. And if the majority decide to keep evidence out of the public domain then Annie Feltham as Member and Portfolio Holder will have little influence within the hierarchy. Its time for The People of Colchester to support our ward representatives and be the change that we wish to see in Colchester. Go to: http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

7:05am Wed 10 Sep 14

Boudicea says...

AngryManNewTown wrote:
Shrubendlad wrote:
I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?
You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?
Remember the December 2013 story by Ryan Jennings about several counts of mismanagement within the Waste Department? Who was the Head of Service and who was the Portfolio Holder at the time? Who is head of service for Leisure now? From the last few years observing... it seems to me that 52 Elected Representatives have little power as "Members of The Colchester Council". Portfolio holders make the decisions. And if the majority decide to keep evidence out of the public domain then Annie Feltham as Member and Portfolio Holder will have little influence within the hierarchy. Its time for The People of Colchester to support our ward representatives and be the change that we wish to see in Colchester. Go to:
http://colchestercou
nciluncovered.co.uk/
[quote][p][bold]AngryManNewTown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shrubendlad[/bold] wrote: I am not a Politician and Boris no doubt will correct me. BUT Isnt the Cabinet member in charge of Communities and Leisure LIB DEM Councillor Annie Feltham(Newtown Ward)? What has this lady to say on the subject?[/p][/quote]You are correct she is in charge of communities and leisure. Think she needs to be sent a few emails to find out what she is doing!?!?!?!?[/p][/quote]Remember the December 2013 story by Ryan Jennings about several counts of mismanagement within the Waste Department? Who was the Head of Service and who was the Portfolio Holder at the time? Who is head of service for Leisure now? From the last few years observing... it seems to me that 52 Elected Representatives have little power as "Members of The Colchester Council". Portfolio holders make the decisions. And if the majority decide to keep evidence out of the public domain then Annie Feltham as Member and Portfolio Holder will have little influence within the hierarchy. Its time for The People of Colchester to support our ward representatives and be the change that we wish to see in Colchester. Go to: http://colchestercou nciluncovered.co.uk/ Boudicea
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree