Work is set to begin in earnest this month on the restoration of an historic building which was devastated by fire.
The Grade II-listed Victorian Sergeants’ Mess was left a smouldering wreck after fire started in the roof in April.
It spread through the first floor but the building was saved.
The estimated cost of making the building watertight has been put at £800,000.
Developers Taylor Wimpey have planning permission to convert the building into four homes.
A spokesman for the firm said: “The scaffolding around the Sergeants’ Mess is almost complete and further intensive cleaning up the fire-damaged parts of the building will commence in mid-August. "